China and the Olympics

1fitspirit

Reaction score
Should the upcoming Games be boycotted by the US in protest over China's dismal human rights record? Or, since we owe them SO much money, are we afraid to insult them...

Coues

Reaction score
I'm suprised the global warming, climate change, etc community is not demanding a boycott. China is one of the worst polluters in the world. Some are even questioning whether it is safe for our athletes to go there because of the choking air pollution in Bejing.

Add that to the barbaric way they continue to treat Tibet and the whole world should be staying home, not just the US.

The fact that they were given an Olympics in the 1st place is baffleing.

The Olympics are so corrupt, it doesn't even really matter that much any more.

easymoney

Reaction score
I say we should not be there at all...
We are in the financial mess with the chicoms because our legislators have given them "most favored status" and signed all those stupid trade agreements. We have debt based on the trade defecit in their favor and because we are addicted to cheap crappy goods from anywhere but the USA, which allows them the ability to further by down more of our debt in the form of real estate and bonds.
The astounding thing is we will continue to cowtow to them because they hold this debt and have a itchy trigger finger...

chuam

Reaction score
Easy, don't forget the debt W shackled us with by the war also...............

easymoney

Reaction score
Once again, off topic... And of course it had to be GWBs fault, right?

chuam

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (easymoney @ Apr 7 2008, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Once again, off topic... And of course it had to be GWBs fault, right?[/b]
I don't see how adding to your post was off topic. Fund a war without having a way to pay it is W's fault. We are in more debt from the war and the chinese bought up the debt hand over fist. They have us by the economic balls.

Should we boycott?

No. I think they have an abysmal human rights record. The more we can open up their country the better the situation will become. Since we opened up trade with them things in China are a lot better than they used to be there. The olympics will help open up the country also.

We need to remember this is about sport and the fact that through sport we can overlook our political differences and enjoy the competition of human beings.

Is that more on topic?

billrob

Reaction score
What is going on with Tibet is a church pickinic campared with Darfur.

I know Mexico won't have anyone there at the Olympics.
Not because they are boycotting but because everyone that can run, jump & swim is in the U.S.

Sodhunter

Reaction score
That's funny! The Olympic committe shouldn't give the host benefit to countries that are way out of line or dangerous or so third world you have to squat to crap and China borders on that but it's about international competition and I hate boycotting and turning Olympics political. Let the athletes compete and leave the politics out of it. Sports are like hunting, there is a pure fair clean competitive beauty or you can turn it into an ugly illegal profit hungry selfish mess.

Dingo Dog

Reaction score
Most conservatives would probably say boycott just on the principle alone. On the other hand liberals are in favor of killing thousands of babies right here in the USA every day. Why would they think that China is any worse?

Orygun

Reaction score
Have your own personal boycott. Just don't watch anything related to the games. If enough people did that around the world that would be more embarrassing.

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
I am of the opinion that if you don't like it, don't watch. Don't use your Visa or AMX card, as they are big contributors. Don't eat at McDonald's, for the same reason. This list could go on and on, bottom line is support our athletes and remember that China is an ally. While we may not agree with all of their politics, they don't ours. Should they boycott the U.S.?

pbrdog

Reaction score
Did everyone just realize now that China violates human rights? Why wasn't this an issue before they gave China the approval to hold the Olympics? They have had approval for quite sometime. Just seems senseless to try to stop the show a month before it starts. Like Orygon said, if you don't want to watch it, don't. But athletes train their entire life for such an honor to compete in the Olympics. Let them have their glory.

Sodhunter

Reaction score
Back in the day all countries competed. If two countries were at war they would lay down their arms and warriors would be competeing in Olympics instead of fighting. I hate the thought of boycotting it for the athletes sake. If you want to boycott China quit buying their cheap crap.

BigDog

Reaction score
Sodhunter, prrdog and Cold1nhand well said. The Olympics are supposed to be neutral. That is, politics free. The games are supposed to be about athletes who spend many many years of their lives learning, playing and advancing in their selected sport in order to stand up in front of the rest of the world and win for their country. Anybody who has been to an Olympics Games or interacted with an Olympic athlete will tell you that they are absolutely dedicated to representing their country and winning at their sport. They are not there for politics. When they walk onto their field of sport, they represent us with as much dedication as our military members do. Us is you and me and your neighbor. Not the fat, lazy and stupid politicians in our Guberment.
I know this because I have lived with an Olympian and I have been involved with many others. They are there to win for us. Regardless of the ongoing politics.

Advertisement

Top Bottom