Chocolate Lab

Coondog

Banned
Reaction score
My chocolate lab was 2yrs. old in Feb.. He retrieves really well, but does not like the guns too much.. I took him out to the field for the first time when he was about 6 months old and he has not like it since.. Anything I can do for him?? I have heard of banging pots together, etc..., but not sure if any of this works...

Also, his sire is a really fine retriever.. If I took them both out on the hunt and he saw how excited his dad gets, would he try and emulate him or would I just be spinning my wheels?? Thanks for the help...

Reaction score
So sorry to hear of that.

The ONLY way I think you can get a dog over being gunshy take three things.

1- The dog has to have a natural drive to play fetch- The more drive the better, and the drive can not really be trained if they do not take an intrest in playing fetch or hunting. It is a natural occuring thing- but the younger you get the dog intrested in it the better the chances it will further its drive

2- use a .22 launching dummy while the dog is healed by your side. First just use the dummy by hand till it loves it as a toy. If it loves water retreives more do that. Labs LOVE water.
Then use the .22 blanks with it healed by your side so it will feel secure. and have it on a leash and a choker. After the Lauch pet it and calm it down by talking in the way stated in step 3.

3- always use posotive reinforcement and talk in a high pitch extited voice as a reward while petting it and lowering your head to their level. Try it- the dog will get so excited and will melt into your leggs.

The pot/pans durring feeding should be on Discovery Channels Myth Busters.

I had a Golden Retreiver that never was gun shy till I left it at my parents with their Golden. That was over 4th July week and my parents dog was psycho at firecrackers and firearms. My dog saw it wigging out and forever did the same thing. I found someone to adopt him.

HuntFish

Reaction score
I think I got this from Delmar Smith's book "Best Way to Train Your Gun Dog"
While the dog is feeding, fire off a cap gun over the dog. The dog will eventually associate something good with that loud noise. Worked pretty good with my Brittany. If she walked away while I was firing off the cap gun, I put her food away till she was ready or hungry enough not to care about that darn sound anymore.

Good luck with the dog!

Dan

Brewbear1

Reaction score
Coondog

Do you know anyone with a dog that is not gun shy. Run them together in the field.

Fire the gun and act like its a game. It work for my Lab. It will take a lots of work.

Good Luck

brewbear1

Reaction score
Originally posted by HuntFish@Aug 17 2004, 09:01 PM
"Best Way to Train Your Gun Dog"

While the dog is feeding, fire off a cap gun over the dog. The dog will eventually associate something good with that loud noise. Worked pretty good with my Brittany. If she walked away while I was firing off the cap gun, I put her food away till she was ready or hungry enough not to care about that darn sound anymore.
I am sorry-

Not all dogs live in Playa De Carmen where the next meal is not fish guts and they weigh 43 lbs when they should weigh 77 lbs.

NO!! - use POSOTIVE reinforcment never the dog not doing what it wants to do for its natural inclinations.

That is the 1st and foremost rule of a dogs life comes into play- Respect and wishing to PLEASE out of LOVE of its owner and the neighbror down the street or the visitor that lives in the city down the road.
That is where the different handlers come in to controlling your dog out of Love for what it wants to do

If you have the time -go and watch the/any AKC Feild Tials where there is a Owner
- not a Handler
work their dogs in a AKC field trial test. Yes- They are SNOOTY and I will not participate any more- I only play pool, and train my Ruger, out of my love for both. (and of course my higher priorities come beforehand)

It is rare that the Owner is there - but like I say in Pool- It happens

Dan

Coondog

Banned
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Do you know anyone with a dog that is not gun shy. Run them together in the field.[/b]
Yeah... His father is a really good retriever and goes nuts when you pull a shotgun out.. I might try to take them both with me dove hunting in a couple of weeks.. Thanks for all the info. guys!!!

HuntFish

Reaction score
Great link buckkiller! That explained it a lot better then I did.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom