Chocolate vs. black labs

ksberry209

Reaction score
I have heard a few people say that chocolate labs some times have a bit more of an aggressive personality when compared to others (blacks and yellow). Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? If you have a chocolate have you EVER seen any behavior that you did not like?

I know that a lot of it has to do with the owner and I am well aware of that but I do want a family dog that is good with kids and well mannered in public. Any thoughts or opinions????

THE LAB GUY

Reaction score
It also has to do with how they were matched up for breeding. And of course how the owner brings up the dog. The Lab Guy

MexHunter

Reaction score
Lab Guy is correct. It is much harder to find a well bred chocolate. It is not a color you see very often at a field trial.

There are some good ones but they are not easy to locate. If color is more important than other factors, I recommend getting a pup sired by one of Charles Tyson's dogs.

gottahunt

Reaction score
My chocolate lab has never been aggressive. He has the typical lab perssonality, gets excited when people come in, then settles down quickly. My grand daughter has been able to "abuse" him since she was a baby, and he just lets her. I have never had any concerns about any aggressive behavior.

Having said that, other than my current lab, I have not had much experience with labs. I read about them (one of the most destructive breeds as puppies), but had not heard that chocolates were more aggressive.

I would recommend visiting the breeder if possible and seeing the dog you are considering and also to look at the parents.

RickQU/DU

Reaction score
Well I would have to say it really depends on the owners up bringing of the dog and the parents of the dog I have a Chocolate Male just about 3 now and he is very gentle to all around him and I have never seen a Agressive one yet I have on other times seen Labs that are I would have to say in just my opinion in what I have seen that Black Labs are more up to being hyper and destructive then the Chocolates but that is just what ive seen. Not all are so I'm not cutting down the black ones at all, Check with the Breeder and see the parents and do your part as an owner and you will have the Family dog you want and need, Best of luck to you on your search!!

Rick

Widux

Reaction score
Look at results--in brit national their will normally be 45-BLM's- 4 females and 1 Golden--FC dogs seem to be mostly black males--that says something-as for agression it seems to me in my limited experience that blacks are in middle- choc more aggressive- yelows more laid back--BUt I've had nothing but blm's and one female since 1968--am going to try a yellow male pup.--Brit style this fall for first time

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (THE LAB GUY @ Apr 7 2008, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It also has to do with how they were matched up for breeding. And of course how the owner brings up the dog. The Lab Guy[/b]
Hit the nail right on the head!

gundogs

Reaction score
I have worked with many choc. Labs both male and female and have not seen an aggressive one yet. Pit Bulls are not aggressive either people make them that way. Buy from a good breeder and seek good care from a Vet.
I would be sure to have a good breeder history on both the top and bottom sides as well as Certs. on hips, eyes, elbows. Provide as much one on one attention as possible with your puppy and socialize the pup with other dogs and people soon after all of the puppy shots are complete. Continue this through out his life and as you change hunting buddies and locations his demeanor will remain more constant. Hope this helps along with the good advise allready given.
Bryce

Top Bottom