choke tubes

foulshot

Reaction score
I just bought an extended improved modified choke tube and it seems to work ok.  I had previosly used the full choke that came with my 1187.  What does everybody else out there use? for waterfowl, upland?
I just wondered if it was worth the money to get a nice extended tube for all occasions.

Fubar

Reaction score
I have been using an improved with steel in my BPS 12 guage.             Fubar

Duck Assassin

Reaction score
I use a Lohman Waterfowl choke it patterns better than the stock choke. I have photos of the comparisons on my web page.

Woodduck

Reaction score
I shoot a Browning Citori Over/Under.  I prefer to shoot skeet/skeet, or skeet/imp cylinder.  With the wadding in current steel loads, I find my pattern doesn't open up well enough in close with a tighter choke.  These chokes work very well to about 45 yards.....beyond that, I'm kidding anyway.

songdog

Reaction score
Modified shooting Bismuth out of a Benelli SBE for ducks.

Same Benelli with a PatternMaster choke tube (extra full) for turkeys or coyotes.

Improved/Modified in my Red Label 28 ga for upland.

I've got a lot more choke tubes but rarely have a reason to change these...

Jay

Reaction score
Forget what it says on the choke tube. When shooting steel, every gun, every choke tube and evey load will shoot differently.

For close in work like small creeks, and small potholes you may want to throw an improved cylinder pattern of 3's or 4's.

For standard decoy hunting you probably want to throw a modified pattern of 3's or 2's and bone up to 1's in a stiff wind.  

For pass shooting you probably want to throw a full full pattern of 1's or BB's.

Generally speaking tubes will shoot a choke tighter for steel than lead. So an IC for lead will usually shoot a modified pattern of steel. Long or extended choke tubes or back-boring will change all this.

You have to pattern your gun, with your chokes and your steel shot loads to be accurate.

Bodie

Reaction score
I have a Browning BPS with the invector choke tubes.  I use the choke tube that shoots modified with steel and improved cylinder with lead.  I use this choke tube for both upland hunting (lead) and waterfowl hunting (steel).  

(Edited by Bodie at 8:05 am on Dec. 5, 2001)

arizona jim

Reaction score
I am shooting a Winchester Super X2 3.5 - I would like try one of those choke tubes for steel that slows the wad & shortens your shot string. They say it increases pattern density. I am hunting over decoys, but occasionally I get in some pass shooting.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks, AZ Jim

Duck Assassin

Reaction score
I have good luck with a Lohman choke, to see some of the patterns go to my web page.

(Edited by Duck Assassin at 12:11 pm on Jan. 5, 2002)

wildlifedesigner

Reaction score
Good question. I also need to know. This is what I have found. both guns using Inv+ briley chokes non Wad slowing design. My gun 26 inch barrel X2 with Imp Mod shoots an average of 15 3"BB's in an 18 inch circle at 50 yards. same gun But 28 inch barrel shooting briley light mod shoots an average of 22 BB's at the same range. I tried many chokes and even had somone else shoot to eliminate my error, but the 28 inch outperformed mine every time, I thought that it did not matter, I have been tempted to try a wad sloowing choke to improve my pattern, but at 50+$ it has not happend. has anyone else have any more info on this? What does your  pattern look like with these chokes? Does certain Brand chokes have better designs or are they about the same in how they work?. Best: Bryan

(Edited by wildlifedesigner at 9:08 pm on Jan. 6, 2002)

raghorn

Reaction score
dove & quail season just round the corner which choke is best for hunt'in these birds?

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
For quails I use I.C. and Mod. For doves I use skeet or I.C. But as the season progresses you might be needing mod. and full from quail and mod. or full for doves. I have expirienced that doves fly higher in the afternoon than in the morning.So You might use an I.C. in the morning and a mod. in the afternoon.

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Raghorn, the o-n-l-y way you will know for sure, is to "pattern" your loads. I've patterened hundreds of rounds and there are drastic differences between the various tubes & manufacturers. And same with the ammo.

One I.C. tube might shoot like skeet, while another I.C. shoots like modified. It is unbelievable and mind boggling. Folks have no idea how they are doing in the field without first patterning and yet many do not. It is (almost) like going deer hunting without ever sighting your rifle in.  

With that said, as an overall "guideline only", Skeet & I.C. for quail and I.C. & Modified for dove for the same reasons tha Qbn hunter mentions.

Good Luck
Frank

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
Dove and Quail:

Home loads
20ga.
Ruger Red label

Mod top
IC bottom

SoCalTed

Reaction score
If I get to use my Beretta, mod AM and a Full choke in the PM.  I love the high flyers, but hate chasing them down (but wait, I'm taking the kids this year..hahahahah) The wife has assumed ownership of this shotgun, though.

My old mossberg pump has an older "accu-choke"  which allows me to dial-in to just the right amount.  Of course this is not an exact science, but allows for more excuses on the misses and bragging on the hits.

Top Bottom