CHOPPERS

Hoyt Predator

Reaction score
Has anyone hunted choppers in hollister..if so is it a good deal. Did you stick anything did you see alot of pigs can u shoot sows ?

SHOOT STRAIGHT

superduty

Reaction score
I think BigTusker can answer those questions for ya Hoyt.

Arrowslinger

Banned
Reaction score
I've been to Chopper's 3 times. Here's the scoop: 2 pigs either sex, 4000 acres, a great cabin (bigger & better than you can imagine), plenty of critters, & a knowledgable host. I hit 3 pigs on my first two visits w/ many other blown stalks & chances.
It's by no means an easy hunt, but if you listen to chopper & work for it, the pigs are there......there's been a few thread's here 'bout his place w/ nothing but good comments.
I'd go back!

Orso

Reaction score
HP,

The slinger summed it very well. I have been there twice and had a great time. Saw hogs both times and blew a stock. I feel it is an awesome place to hunt and the cabin IS awesome.

bubba

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I was there for both hunts. I was able to connect on a good size boar. Slinger summed it up well. You need at least three though. This is an unguided hunt, but Chopper will direct to the right place. The rest is up to you. He has a skinning shed where you can clean up your hog and a cooler to hang it for the weekend. Some great views from the Cabin.

There was eight of us last time and the ranch was plenty big for all of us. I beleive all eight of us seen and/or had chances at pigs.

Threads from last two hunts:

Second Hunt

First Hunt

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Hey Hoyt,

Not much left to say that the other guys didn't say.

I spent two days there on the first hunt with the JHO guys, and saw hogs every time I went out. If I shot a wheel bow instead of this recurve, I probably could've taken a poke at one nice boar. He was too far for trad gear, though. The other blown opportunities were my own fault.

There's some talk of another JHO group gathering in the late fall. Keep your eyes open.

Rick

Reaction score
I'm not a bow hunter, but I hunted Chopper's before it became archery only. All of us always got hogs, although some missed a few! I still cannot get over the view from the "cabin," and I love the place. Chopper is a great guy, too! Keep your eyes open, and you will see deer, turkeys, quail, bobcat, coyotes, etc.

And yes, you can shoot sows. Naturally, you wouldn't (shouldn't?) shoot a sow that is still nursing or one that has little piglets with it, but I shot a nice 170 pound dry sow that was some of the best pork I've ever had!

Top Bottom