Chukar planting

songdog

Reaction score
Would farm birds have the genes to make it in the wild in SoCal?  Assuming they had sufficient food, cover, water, etc.

I've heard that turkeys pretty much have to be trapped and relocated because the farm birds are too dumb but didn't know about chukar.

Normal disclaimer on the legality of planting birds and the DF&G throwing a fit...

grtwythunter

Reaction score
  I worked at AV Sportsmans Club about 15 years ago. Judging by the pheasants and chukar out there they are too dumb. We had to keep pretty good track of what was released and what was taken by hunters. Any of the left over birds that I didn't get before dark were a pile of feathers the next day.
  I still hunt some land around the club and have only seen one pheasant ever. I think if enough were released a few would survive but you would waste alot of birds trying to get a huntable population established.         Scott

Mojave

Reaction score
There was a lot of work done in the 1930's, in an attempt to re-establish quail in depleted areas, and introduce them into new areas. The farm-raised birds perished pretty-much overnight, while wild-trapped birds relocated fairly successfully. Chukar might fare a little bit better, but I think it would help to season them in a semi-wild situation before release. This would only work, of course, if the habitat was suitable, and the introduction was made to an area not already holding Chukar. Trying to "boost" an existing population, using released birds, has been fairly well proven fruitless.

OC hunter

Reaction score
The DFG only uses birds that have been trapped in the wild for relocation.  The latest was a couple of hundred Chukar trapped on the China Lake Base that were relocated to Southern Nevada.  There are concerns about disease from pen raised animals and therefore not allowed.

Fubar

Reaction score
I have to agree with everyone. Planting birds to establish a population should only be done by the DFG. Pen raised birds can carry diseases that will destroy the wild population. I helped with a turkey plant in the San Bernardino National Forest a few years ago. Those birds were tested twice for disease. One tested positive and was destroyed. Pen raised birds lack the necessary skills to survive in the wild.                 Fubar

limit7

Reaction score
So where is all the money going from the upland game stamp?  The fact that doves are included under the upland game stamp is a joke.  I wonder if rabbits, fox, yotes, bobcats are going to be included as upland game next year?

Fubar

Reaction score
Some of the money from the Upland Game Stamp goes to the Family Pheasant Program. It is used to buy pheasants for juniors and womens pheasant hunts also. If you pass a Hunter Safety you get a certificate for a pheasant hunt too.           Fubar

limit7

Reaction score
I am all in favor of the Upland Game stamp and paying extra fees, if the money is used properly.  Special fees tend to end up in the general budget and not what it was intended for.  In southern cal we have to buy a wilderness pass to use the national forest, and have yet to see any improvements in the national forest.  The next thing is probably a varmint stamp.....(oops, I probably just the the DFG an idea....sorry guys.)

Mojave

Reaction score
Hey, Fubar, when did they start giving out Pheasant certificates? My son took his class in 2000 down at Palmdale Fin-and-Feather, and he didn't get one. We occasionally see a few escapee Pheasants and Chukar flying around our rural neighborhood, but it always seems to be when they're out of season!

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Mojave- Where are you at in the desert? By reading your posts it sounds like we're in the same area. I'm in Quartz Hill.      Scott

Fubar

Reaction score
Mojave I dont know when they started giving pheasant hunts to Hunter Safety graduates. I was at a Hunter safety class August of 2000 and everyone that passed got a certificate there. You can put in for family Pheasant hunts the DFG has every year. This is a drawing and not a guarantee, If you are drawn they will plant two birds for you when you go. If you have the hunter safety certificate you will get to go without having to be drawn. I think they are still doing this.               Fubar

Mojave

Reaction score
Thanks, Fubar - I'll look into it for my son. My own certs are from 27 and 15 years ago, so I don't think they would honor those. I did sit in on his class last year, and was impressed by the material presented. Next year, my daughter will go, if she is still as interested as she is now.
Grtwhthunter: I am out in the boonies about 30 miles east of you. My property is kind of a low hill with a view of El Mirage Dry Lake, Phelan, and Pearblossom.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Mojave-I get out that way chasing coyotes once in awhile. Lived in Lake LA for awhile too. Let me know if you ever need a partner.        Scott

Top Bottom