Chukar sign

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
:rofl

We were on our way back from hot springing by Crowley lake and exploring the area looking for other hotsprings. I noticed a pair of birds walking along the edge of the road. I stopped the truck, got out and took some pictures. Sonia got out and started walking through the brush and flushed about 6-8 birds. Just to show you what kind of woman I married she was just excited as I was. She wants to come with me on my deer hunt so she can go fishing while I hunt.

songdog

Reaction score
Are you sure they weren't sage grouse instead of chukar?  That picture of the one flying looks pretty big for a chukar and no self respecting chukar would ever get caught in land that flat :wink-yellow:

SDHNTR

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly.  I've seen a lot of sage grouse in that country but have not seen any chuckar.  If you went east a bit into the White mountains then I'd say chuckar for sure.  But, who knows there could be chuckar around Crowley.  This is a wierd year and stranger things have happened.

Whoadog

Reaction score
YES, another picture debate!!!  My vote is for Sage grouse in flight as well.

Brian

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
I was wondering that also if it was a grouse v. chukar. When we flushed the birds they made a distinctive Chuck...chuck...chuck call. This was my first experience with this type of bird. What type of call does a grouse make?  The area wasn't flat where we flushed them, it was up in some of the volcanic flows near Crowley, rolling to bluff rocky terrain.

songdog

Reaction score
The size should probably tell you.  Chukar are about the size of quail on steroids.  Sage Grouse are premature turkeys.  

As soon as you see a hillside that's too steep to climb up and figure that there's no way a bird could live on a steep barren hillside like that... then you've found ideal chukar country.

hronk might be able to comment on the presence of chukar in that area.  This is around Hot Creek, right?

Cutthroat

Reaction score
I agree with Songdog. I have spent a lot of time in that area and have only seen Sage Grouse. Also if that hill does not look like K-2 it problely not Chucker...........

(Edited by Cutthroat at 9:52 pm on July 12, 2002)

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
First time I flushed some grouse near Bodie I thought they were hen turkeys. My partner set this mispalced Ozarkian straight.

Kewl pics Karstic. You wear that new camera out yet?

docramo

Reaction score
The one flying is definitely a sage grouse (female). Lots of them in the area ...great to watch and take photo's. If I can ever figure out this computer stuff I'll post pictures of our dog Mako with flushing grouse in this area.

hronk

Reaction score
As soon as you said..At Crowley, along side the road.... my suspicions grew.  There are a lot of Sage hen in the flats and A few  on Mc Gee Mtn,the Whites, and in The Bodie Hills.  Most chukar will be found in very steep canyons or with close access to these areas.  Your pictures are definitley of Sagehens.....hronk  

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
All the birds (6-8) were mottled brown. Were they all hens? Would that many hens be in a group w/o any males? Or have the males not mottled into their plummage yet?

I guess I'll have to go fix the captions on my pictures.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Is sagehen another name for sage grouse, or are they different species?

hronk

Reaction score
The male and the female are about the same color.  The male has "bald" areas on its' chest when strutting and fans its tail to attract the girls(never worked for me).  
Sagehen, Sage Grouse,  same thing.  I'm not sure, but I think that Prarie Chicken is either the same or a very close relative.....hronk

Top Bottom