Cibola ducks

arizona jim

Reaction score
I want to go down to Cibola at least 2 times this year anybody know if ducks are on the water yet? - I heard that they were slow coming down because of the warm weather.

Also anybody hunt Piccacho Reservoir in AZ. this year yet? How is it down there?

AZ  JIM

Fubar

Reaction score
Jim They are getting some ducks and a few geese but the big migration of geese hasnt arrived yet.                Fubar

arizona jim

Reaction score
Fubar,

Thanks, I hope they get down there soon maybe with this cold front we have coming in? I found a few deep cuts in Tonto Creek on the way to Roosevelt Lake.  Water seems to be in there even when the rest of the creek is dry. Last Friday it had one Gadwall on it , the next morning my friends saw 3 Teal & 12 Mallards.

P.S. - I told my deer hunting story on "Kaibab Buck pics" finally. Just in case you didn't get to it yet.

AZ  JIM

limit7

Reaction score
can you hunt ducks everyday or does it follow the same days as goose hunting?

huntducks

Reaction score
limit7

Yes.

The goose hunting is limited to only the spaced blind area which is one large field.

I think that many who read the posts here think that going to Cibola is a meca of duck & goose hunting WRONG, the best hunting is on the AZ. side so you will need a AZ license, 2 or 3 trips there will usualy be a fruitless effort unless you go with someone who knows the area, if you don't have the gear like a boat and with the water down you will need a shallow draft like a Baker boat or a Jon boat along with a motor that will work in shallow water (jack plated jet or go devil type) 4-5 dozen floating honker decoys.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but just give you the facts and what it takes to hunt a area, IMHO it's not worth the effort that it was 3-4 yrs ago, I have been there many times, if your there when new birds move in ducks & geese the shooting can be real good, but little of that has happened over the last few years, the feds there look at the birds(geese)as there's and do all they can to limit your hunting short of closing the whole place, this comes from someone who hunted Cibola 20yrs ago.

limit7

Reaction score
Thanks for the help.  I used hunt Cibola quite a bit for geese but, it has been awhile.  The duck ponds used be so-so but I heard they improved them.  You are right about the feds, but that seems to be true everywhere.  Kern is no different.  You are right about figuring Cibola, but that is probably true for every refuge.  If you hunt Wister, you better do you homework too, or you are going to spend the day in a tule-locked area picking you nose.

Thanks again.

huntducks

Reaction score
limit7

Kern use to be a GREAT place to hunt back in the 60's & 70's then that bone head Charnley took over and everything changed NO water or never enought, then spaced blinds that were some time opened bigger & bigger closed zone, tule choaked hunting area's and one of the first area's to limit you to 25 shells, he was one of the first fed's around with a my bird attitude, I guess who ever is there now has done a better job, but that would have taken little or no effort at all.

Damn it's a bitch to get old and see what we use to have and compair it to today, I sure feel sorry for the young guys just getting started & never being able to have hunted ducks when it was free & and with lead.

Good luck if you head to Cibola.

limit7

Reaction score
I can deal with paying and shooting nonlead, but what I can’t deal with is buy licenses,
stamps, and extra fee and seeing nothing in return.  Like a lot of other bureaucracies, they
become top heavy with administrators and they forget who funds their job.  Until the
DFG is run like a business then we will complain until we are in a graves.  Wouldn’t it be
interesting if we got to rate the refuges and the cash were follow the ratings.  If a refuge
was rated by the hunters and other people who used them, then the people who run the
refuges might hustle a little more for the hunters.  I don’t mean to bag on all the refuges
because some do a great job.  But the way the system is now, there seems to be little
accountability and the hunters do not seem to be represented.  Until hunters can unite and
be a financial force then nothing will change.  

Top Bottom