Cibola

fowl Shooter

Reaction score
Any comment or words of wisdom in regards to hunting there would be most appreciated. My 11 year-old daughter just shot her first duck at Wister now we're taking the show to Cibola for her honker. I've talked to the staff there and they were as helpful as can be expected from govt employee's. :) Mr fowl shooter I'll send you a brochure in the mail.

Desertducker

Reaction score
I hunted Cibola Sunday for ducks....I only saw one bunch of geese (@35 birds)...Spoke to a couple of guides in the area and they said that the goose count is @ 250 birds at this time. Everyone is still waiting for the weather to push the birds down. Hope this will help and hope that your daughter gets her bird.

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
fowlshooter,

It might be a little better just after Thanksgiving to Christmas.

fowl Shooter

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. desert did you hunt the island unit or the pretty water area? i'm gonna get in the non-res draw next sat.

Desertducker

Reaction score
Shooter;

Actually, we hunted the oxbow area as the Island unit is closed for the deer hunt....Good luck on your hunt next Saturday.

daffyblaster

Reaction score
I am heading down there this weekend and have a very low number very low i was wondering if anyone has been down there latly.i was wondering if they had seen where the birds have been flying

Fubar

Reaction score
daffyblaster Sorry to bring you bad news but it is very slow at the refuge. I was hunting at Farm Unit II Dec 22 and 23 and there were about three birds taken for all parties total for the two days. This was due to the refuge flooding fields on Farm Unit I (the area closed to hunting) to hold the birds there. This keeps the birds from flying back to Cibola Lake to spend the night. The latest bird count is just over 6000 geese. Unless the birds have started going back to Cibola Lake for the night it might be a very long day Sat. Good Luck.            Fubar

daffyblaster

Reaction score
well that really sucks still going,do you know when they flooded the fields,and what blinds got the birds

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
daffyblaster,

I went to Cibola Sportsmans Club last Friday and Sat. on the South Ranch.  I bagged 2 Honkers Friday and my partner baged 2 Sat. evening (Pics comming soon).

Our guide was non other than Dave Grundy and the Famous Dr. Bob W.

Without thier world class honkin', and our sharp shootin', we would have been skunked for sure.

Good luck,
sp

Desert Ducker

Reaction score
When Mike Hawkes changed the hunting at Farm Unit II to reservations and limited hunting days, he said it would provide greater numbers of geese and a more quality hunting experience. Now that the hunting season is over, what are your thoughts? Was the hunting at Farm Unit II better??? How was the hunting on the Island??

fowl Shooter

Reaction score
First year I hunted there. Both units had excellent hunting at times and other times I almost took up golf. I enjoy the Island unit a little more due to the relative lack of constraints. I can come and go as I like and its open 7 days a week. It would be interesting to see the final bird /hunter tally for the farm unit. The lake they created in the closed zone certainly affected the hunting there. But from what I learned from the locals, it was planned before Hawkes ever got there. Now the flight pattern for geese in the refuge has been altered.

bandblaster

Reaction score
i was told that they only deflooded the lofing pond to put in a picture taqking tower like the one at wister??

DanD

Reaction score
Hey a question to you guys that hunted Cibola this year.  I didn't hunt it this year but have in the past.  How did the draw work out?  Did you pretty much get the choices that you put on your card.  How many people with reservations showed for the most part and where their any blinds left after the reservations where filled.  Last question if you are not a AZ resident, did you have to buy a AZ hunting license to get into the draw?  Thanks in advance for any info.

arizona jim

Reaction score
I didn't hunt the farm unit, but I did hunt the island unit. I thought it was much worse than last year. We saw maybe 1/4th the amount of ducks.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom