clasification of deer

monsterbuck

Reaction score
Why are deer called bucks and does rater than being called bull and cow?  This puts them in the same family as a rabbit, how come?

wapiti

Reaction score
Doesn't mean anything really, hogs and bears are called boars and sows, so are raccoons.  That doesn't have a thing to do with classification.

Haary

Reaction score
What I don't understand is why Elk and Moose are called Bulls and Cows. But Deer who are in the same family as Elk and Moose are called Bucks and Does.

Bwht4x4

Reaction score
Deer are in the family Cervidae, FYI.  Also deer DO NOT have horns, mammals like cows, pronghorn, bighorn sheep, and all the antelope are the ones with horns.  Deer have ANTLERS, which are boney structures that are grown and shed each year.
FYI

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 wrong answer, an elk has antlers that shed but is a bull,a deer has the same type antler that sheds and is a buck,an Antelope is also a buck.
 why is it a flock of turkeys,and a covey of quail?
 Why does the lint always end up in the front pocket of my jeans and not in my shirt pocket or back pockets?
 You could drive yourself crazy with guestions like these,they just are.
 Why is a young tom called a jake? and why dont most people who hunt know that a young hen is called a jennie(jenny?)
 I think Bwht4X4 is correct to some extent but there is more to it than just that,i heard once about the horn antler thing and it made since but i have forgotten the real difference since.

Fubar

Reaction score
If we call people from Poland Poles, why dont we call people from Holland Holes???              Fubar

wapiti

Reaction score
Why do hunters in the west call a 5x5 a five pointer and in the east we'd call it a 10 pointer?  It just is.

Elk in the west are royals, imperials and monarchs, in east KY around Hazard, we call'em Dukes!

Dakota

Reaction score
Why more than one goose is geese.  More then one moose, meese?

A baby rabbit is a pup!

I wonder if filling my head with useless trivia like this is the reason I can't remember important things anymore.

kilbuc

Reaction score
Reminds me of the story of the Great Blue Whale.

The blue whale has a real big mouth that you can almost turn a VW around in but it has a real little-bitty throat.  Do you know why?

Because that is just  way it is --there isn't any reason.

One Track

Reaction score
Why? When you see a flock of geese in the usual v-shape formation, why is one side always longer than the other side?  

Cuz there's more geese on that side?

Are there terms for male and female yotes? Is a female yotey a bitch? (Serious question.)

Speckmisser

Reaction score
One Track,  yours is about the only question I can answer.

First of all, geese fly in formation based on the wind resistance they're encountering.  The strongest mature birds head the V, and switch off with other mature birds as they go.  They break the wind for the following birds.  I was kinda clear on that part.  But I also think the longer edge of the V breaks any crosswind, so your youngest, weaker birds are on the protected short leg.  

As for 'yotes, you're right.  It's a dog and a bitch.

Now I've gone out on a limb...someone prove me wrong and make me look the fool.  

Brian S

Reaction score
Why is my left stone bigger than my right . As for the other stuff somebody called em that one day and it stuck and as more people heard it,ect.ect. a buck by any name is still a buck and I can't wait til deer season.
Brian

(Edited by Brian S at 7:56 am on Jan. 8, 2002)

Advertisement

Top Bottom