Cleer Creek

bayedsolid

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
It's been getting closed down for the summer months for a few years now.

Flatbroke

Reaction score
yup, but this time is different, they do not have a planned reopening, it was an emergency closure. they are refunding money for passes. doesnt look too good.

when they closed it in the past you could still walk and hike and drive on the county road just not dirt bikes and atvs etc., this time it is closed to all traffic, pedestrian or otherwise.

ooja

Reaction score
Hmmm. I am glad that there is concern for public safety. Yet, the same idea creeps into the back of my mind every time I hear about another closure. Just how much land do we really have to hunt? Different government entities are boasting all the time about all the land we have to hunt, but it is really not realistic. I know of parts of LANF that have been closed for close to 10 years after a fire, then road washout, never re opened. Probably no money to fix the road. Still, every year the same numbers come out in the pamphlets, there is **********acres of land for public access. It really is false advertising, attempting to give the public a perception that it is so great here, when realistically there is not nearly that much.

This state has a huge population, all those people are sharing the same resources, the resources get worn thin pretty quick. I guess that is why I sometimes get worked up when I hear about another decent area getting closed. It is hard to argue against the public safety issue; but even if it never gets reopened, you can almost bet it will still stay in the accessable land counts for years to come, for good PR.

I think about the areas I have to access, and a lot of it is inaccessable, chapparel grown so thick a deer has to crawl through it, but when it burns, it is closed for years, by the time I get to access it, it is getting thick again. Usable land vs impenetrable land is another annoying thing that comes to mind, technically I could crawl through it, but I don't see that as being a whole lot of fun for anyone, yet it also stays in land acreage counts.

I have never hunted the area, but am sad to hear about yet another opportunity closed, sadder still to think it may never be re opened, and yet "We have all this great hunting opportunity in this state."

Huntr Pat

Reaction score
Same here, I hope its just temporary and opens next fall.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I guess if there's a bright side, it'll take some of the pressure off the place for a while.

The pdf map they provided wasn't real clear, but it looks like some of the edge areas away from the asbestos hills will still be open. Not sure how to access, but there's an opportunity for the motivated hunter.

Dunno, just looking for silver lining. I used to hunt the Clear Creek area a lot, and once it dries out and that dust gets up, it was definitely a rough place to spend the day.

Flatbroke

Reaction score
It looks like condon peak area is open, but other than that there is no access open from a public right away that I Know of. Condon peak has has some game taken, I ran into a guy hunting with a dog there one time. THe down side is that area has been known for lots of marijuana gardens.

bayedsolid

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
What a shame. I hadn't heard about the change. Thankfully the government is there to protect us all and tell us what we can and cannot do....for our own good. I really don't know people survived in the good 'ol days without the government's motherly hand up their a**.

jackrabbit

Reaction score
I read a brief summary of the danger of asbestos in the area -- something like just a few trips into the area over several decades can lead to fatal disease. Might not effect my lifetime, but my 24 y/o son has been wheelin' there for the last three years in the fall -- I sure as hell don't want him ever going back into that area again. Didn't Steve McQueen use to race dirt bikes up in that area in the '60's? I believe he died from asbestos. And a lot of that asbestos is being flushed by winter rainstorms down across the I-5 and into the west valley also!

83Yota

Reaction score
Well I am glad I just made a trip up there on April 25th for the weekend, before the ordered the closure. That is a terrible map they supplied. Looks like it will be closed at the first gate right above Idria. I had not been up to Clearcreek in about two years and boy there has been a huge pick up in motorcycle riding. Looks like the place gets plenty of traffic. On the way out we ran into two Sheriff units, they had a truck full of guys pulled over, the Sheriff was taking picture and going through the bed of the truck. All I saw in the back of the truck was a bucnh of PVC pipig and fittings. Looks like they had a little green garden somewhere.
The Sheriff asked us a few questions then sent us on our way..

rnjwildhoghunts

Reaction score
Well guys here is a number if you want to call and find out all the details. A sign like this has been posted before but it always had a time frame for when it was going to reopen!

jackrabbit

Reaction score
Just broke the news to my 24 y/o son and printed him a copy from the LA Times article. Quite a shock to him and his 100 friends who go there every Thanksgiving to wheel, have a bonfire, and shoot clay pigeons. He says they don't know of any other place with the freedom to do all the fun things they could do there. On the other hand, after he read about how severe the asbestos danger actually is, he said he would never go there again even if they did open it up; "you mean all the time we were spinning wheels and sliding hookers and thowing all that dirt in the air we were breathing asbestos? Oh, and I guess it wasn't to smart for one of the guys to throw a gas bomb down one of the mine shafts and create a mushroom cloud either was it?"

Rickochet21

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am a new guy here at Jesse's. Lot's of great information here. I do have some information on the closure of clear creak. I have hunted Condon Peak since I can remember and hunted just last year. I talked with Dave S. from the Hollister Blm and basically there probably will not be a re-opening. I guess the EPA has a lot to do with this. Even though the new route that was allowed during the hunting season going thru new idria on the san benito road was out of the asbestos areas, the EPA feels that ALL should be closed. The only way to access Condon is to walk from Los Gatos Canyon road on the Condon access. He did say they are talking to some landowners about putting an access road in the future because of the landowners only own small parts of land that you would have to go through to get to Condon. But those chances are gonna be slim and none. It is unfortunate because I have hunted Condon since I was a kid and got my first black tail there. The blm is trying there best and put me on the mailing list for updates on this situation.

wtpops

Reaction score
They are also closing Pismo Beach. This is no joke!

4 more years and im out of here.

BGH831

Reaction score
Does anyone have any kill stories out of there cause it's a baren sh$$ hole last few times I've been out and know some other guys that say the same thing. Heard of one hog from across the road at laguna mt. in last 6 years

Flatbroke

Reaction score
I have seen some Nice bucks taken from there the last 15 years. I havent seen any the last couple but I have not been down there either.

I have seen both pigs and deer on trips while motor cycle riding and while working in the area. You have to look long and hard but they are there. I did not see them every time or every other time but I did see them on occassion.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of deer there, unfortunately never when I had a rifle or a tag... but they're in there. I've seen a crapload of hog sign too, but I never was able to actually see the pigs standing in the tracks except once.

I'd think there'd be some dang good dog hunting in there, though.

boarbuster

Reaction score
I have harvested both deer and hog outta condon. they are in there if you know where to look. Speck your right their is some great dog hunting in there. the A zone buck that ralphy put a pic of in the blacktail forum came from around condon this year.

Ralphy

Reaction score
yep i took a nice 3x3 outa condon.but what i did not say was by 3x3 i meant it had 6 legs and 3 eyes,tumors every where.with all the xtra legs i got a lot more meat.HAA lol .there was nothing wrong with it .the liver was in good shape he died of a broken heart from a 270.they should make it where we can enter at your own risk.have a waiver sign in or something.we all die of some kind comsumption. i choose to be a consumer.seeya

Top Bottom