Cleveland Nat'l Forrest

killer

Reaction score
Any body ever hunt birds in the Cleveland Nat'l Forrest?  Where abouts is good?  This area is in my back yard (I live in Trabuco Hills) and it would be really great to know if one can hunt this area for quail (or deer).  I have been up there hiking and seen birds but don't know if/where you can hunt them.  Thanks, RZ

killer

Reaction score
Any body ever hunt deer in the Cleveland Nat'l Forrest?  Where abouts is good?  This area is in my back yard (I live in Trabuco Hills) and it would be really great to know if one can hunt this area for deer (or quail).  I have been up there hiking and seen signs but don't know if/where you can hunt them.  Thanks, RZ

Robb

Reaction score
I live right in your area (Dove Canyon) and see deer all the time around us!!!  Audubon Property, Whiting Rance (3- 3x3's on Sunday night), Holy Jim Trail... And the last two are heavily travelled?

Here is a website with some info.  I don't have any personal experience hunting this area though...

http://www.r5.fs.fed.us/cleveland/hunting.htm

Marty

Reaction score
You can hunt the Cleveland NF.  It is not a hunter-friendly environment.  Many hiker and bicyclists running over the trails and roads.  The parking gestapo are always out in force looking for your adventure pass as well.

I have seen quail all the way up to the peak of Santiago.  The terrain and brush are extremely rough.  Too rough for my liking.  A neighbor who hikes your side of the hill said he has seen a covey down low.  I will have to confirm if this is off Harding TT.  Most of the older guzzlers are on the eastern side of the hills.

Fubar

Reaction score
I have taken 3 deer in the Cleveland National Forest in the area above Lake Elsinore. The forest in this area is very steep and heavy with brush. There are lots of ticks and rattlesnakes too. It is not an easy place to hunt. Sometimes I used to see more cat tracks than deer tracks. There are quail, but you usually cant find em in the brush. There are better places to hunt quail. Some can be had however if you are persistant.           Fubar

Fubar

Reaction score
I have taken three deer in the area around the Ortega Highway. The Forest is very brushy in this area. Get up high and glass. Also ,check with the Forest service about where it is legal to hunt. There is private property in some areas within the Forest. You will see signs that say NO Shooting within the forest. These mean No target shooting. It is legal to discharge a firearm while in lawful pursuit of game. Check the regs.                    Fubar

killer

Reaction score
Thanks Robb, that info is of great help and it sounds like there is at least some chance at some quail.  Are you deer hunting this year?

Thanks again,  
RZ

Robb

Reaction score
I hunted X9A this year and was unsuccessful.  Our opening weekend was cancelled thanks to that idiot in Afgan.  (I just felt it was not a good time to be leaving the family for a weekend!)  So we only hunted the last weekend and saw tons of doe and one spike, but nothing to bring home.  (some great afternoon fishing though!)

I am off to Colorado for Deer and Elk on the 1st of November...  

I haven't hunted CNF at all and don't have any plans for this year atleast!  If you head out, let me know how it goes!  Good luck and as always, be safe out there!

killer

Reaction score
Fubar,  thanks for the information!  I wonder if their are any new burn areas up there off Ortega?  That is a heck of a lot closer to me than Mt. Palomar where I have been scouting (without seeing a whole lot).  Can you give me a rough idea where to look for deer off of Ortega?  I really don't know the area at all.  Not your secret spots of course, just a little direction?  Thank you!  

Robb, sounds like you will get some great opportunities this year..  good luck and let us know how it goes.

RZ

maf

Reaction score
I also hunted X9a with no luck. Second deer tag is D-15. I usually hunt Camp Pendleton and have pretty good luck. The North end of the base butts up to the Clevland thats where i will be hunting but access is difficult. I will keep you posted.

killer

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys!  Fubar, where would you suggest looking for quail?  I am taking my nephew hunting this year for his first time..  would love to get him on a bird :)  

Thanks again guys and good luck to you!!!

RZ

killer

Reaction score
MAF, is the area you are hunting in D15 off Ortega?  Have you done much scouting and how does it look?

Thanks, RZ

maf

Reaction score
I havent done any scouting this year but know that area of the base like the back of my hand. The only difference is i will hunt on the other side of the fence which consist of only one strand of barbwire at places. The base is zone G-10. If you have a map of the area you will see what iam talking about. I have never hunted the ortega.

Fubar

Reaction score
killer  I am only familiar with the area around the Ortega highway above Lake Elsinore. There are a few rabbits and some quail up there. I have even taken a few Mountain quail at the higher elivations. I have taken quail in the Elsinore peak area all the way back to the Tenaja Forest service station (closed). I havnt been there for quite some time. The road to Tenaja used to be a 4 wheel drive road. You can also try north of the Ortega Hwy.          Other places where I have had luck on quail are farther from the city. A couple of my favorite places to hunt quail are Hunter Liggett and Camp Roberts but they are closed now. There are quite a few birds in the Central part of the state along the coastal areas of the Los Padres Forest. Check out Jesses hunting page also.          Fubar

(Edited by Fubar at 3:18 pm on Oct. 18, 2001)

uhunter

Reaction score
Maf, just in case you have not heard Camp Pendelton is restricting hunting to active, ret,Dep and on dase DOD employees only this year.No ID card no acess this year, Also if you can get on they are only allowing 35 hunters out per day and only opening 3-4 areas per day. If you need more info call them or let me know i can fill you in.

uhunter

Reaction score
If you want to go out towards Palomar i know so,e spots for quail. If you head up the mountain from the lake henshaw side about 4 miles up on the left there is a spot clearly marked National forest you can get down in there and get a few.Also keeping going up to mile marker 6 on the right there is an area to get in there i shot a few in Jan last year in the brush.  

maf

Reaction score
I have heard that thanks. I do have clearence as a DOD Firefighter but opted to pass this year due to all the restrictions or more restrictions than normal. Thought I would try the Clevland.

sportyg

Reaction score
Do you need an adventure pass to hunt D-15 ??? Maf good luck hunting the otherside of the fence.. Let us know how you do. Didn't think their was really anyplace much to hunt around that area..

Fubar

Reaction score
Sporty you need an adventure (tax) pass to park in the Cleveland Forest, San Bernardino Forest, Angeles Forest, and Los Padres Forest.          Fubar

sportyg

Reaction score
Thanks Fubar,

Didn't know you needed one for Pradres Forest.. Was thinking of trying a pig hunt in there some ting in spring..

Top Bottom