Closing the coast to fishing.

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Hey guys this is a NO-BULL thing the huggers are about to pull off.  FYI I spend most of the off season on the ocean and the proposed closures for the coastline and the local islands is an all out attack on our rights to fish.  No where in the closures is there a suggestion to reduce limits or bring in slot limits, these closures are targeting the most productive areas around.  Please take the time to read up on these closures as well as this link to a online pettion to ammend the closures.  

http://www.petitiononline.com/ML3Howa/petition.html

Play time is over guys!

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks for  posting this Kid. I've been reading about this closure in Western Outdoor News and was stunned by how much of the coastal waters would be closed off.

Let's go people, read what the issues are and sign this petition.  Also, please pass the word.

MQ

Reaction score
From this mornings' SF Chronicle, a little more info:

FISHERMEN ARE now discovering why the Department of Fish and Game is placing a new, high-speed patrol boat with military-type surveillance devices in San Francisco. It's to enforce sweeping closures being proposed at five of the best fishing spots off the Bay Area coast as part of a new marine program.

"The irony is that areas they want to close are the ones where the fisheries are in the best health," said Craig Stone, owner of Emeryville Sportfishing. "This is all being driven by people who want to turn the ocean into one big aquarium, and that's the real truth."

While the ocean is a giant place, most fish live in relatively small reef areas where the marine food chain can flourish. In the Bay Area, the feature areas are the Farallon Islands and the inshore reefs at Tomales Point, Point Reyes, Rocky Point and Duxbury on the Marin coast; Pillar Point at Half Moon Bay, and Ano Nuevo Island south of Pigeon Point in San Mateo County.

All of these areas are proposed for closures to nearly all fishing -- commercial, sport and scuba -- though exceptions are made for salmon in some areas.

The purchase of the new patrol boats for the DFG and the proposed marine parks closed to fishing are part of the Marine Life Protection Act mandated by the legislature. It makes the DFG the guardian and manager for coastal protection and inshore species, including proposing new closed areas.

According to a study by the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the underwater parks in the world's inshore reef areas produce the highest diversity and size of marine species.

But the proposal creates new problems, according to a consensus at Hi's Tackle in San Francisco. By keeping boats out of the best areas, it forces them to crowd the remaining spots. There also is a safety issue. During hazardous winds for boats, the proposed marine parks could take away safe harbors that can otherwise be found in the lee of the Farallones and coastal points.

Bob Ingles, captain of the Queen of Hearts out of Half Moon Bay, also has argued to the DFG that new shutdowns are unnecessary in view of the new limits and season closures placed on party boats in the past year, limits designed to produce abundant fisheries.

United Anglers of California has charged that if the state wants to manage fisheries for size and abundance, then the emphasis should be on sweeping new restrictions on commercial fishing, especially netting and long-lining. Punishing sport anglers for the excesses of the commercial industry will solve nothing.

The DFG is taking these points under consideration but has otherwise provided little response. DFG Director Bob Hight has not granted any interviews detailing his positions. According to the process now moving forward, a proposal by the DFG will be made to the Fish and Game Commission by Jan. 1, after which at least three formal public hearings will be scheduled. The Commission is then charged to adopt a plan by next July 1.

The current plan proposes more than 80 new areas along the California coast that will be restricted in some way. To enforce the closures, the DFG is having six, new, high-tech marine vessels built to patrol them.

A synopsis of the closures proposed for the Bay Area coast, north to south:

-- BIRD ROCK, Point Reyes National Seashore: Bird Rock is off Tomales Point,

west of the mouth of Tomales Bay, an outstanding habitat for salmon, halibut and rockfish. The closure would range from shore out to a depth of 108 feet, where all fishing would be prohibited.

-- POINT REYES HEADLANDS: This closure would encompass four miles of coast extending one mile offshore. This area flourishes with a rich marine food chain from nearby upwelling, creating outstanding habitat for salmon, cabezone,

lingcod and rockfish. All fishing would be prohibited.

-- DUXBURY REEF (ROCKY POINT), Marin: This inshore reef is a fantastic spot for over 30 species of fish. All fishing would be prohibited, with an exception for salmon, for an area ranging along four miles of shore and extending one mile out to sea.

-- SOUTHEAST FARALLON ISLAND: This is the Bay Area's richest fishery habitat, attracting both reef fish and migratory species, the crown jewel of the coast and the destination for thousands of anglers every year. Two new zones would be created. In a zone extending from shore to 168 feet deep, all fishing would be prohibited. In another zone extending from 78 feet deep to 372 feet deep, all fishing would be prohibited except for salmon.

-- JAMES V. Fitzgerald State Marine Reserve, Moss Beach: This is an excellent inter-tidal habitat for eel, cabezone and abalone (now closed), with an adjacent inshore reef for rockfish and sandy bottom areas for halibut, sand dabs and salmon. The current reserve boundary would be extended to 4.3 miles from Moss Beach to Pillar Point, extending one mile offshore. All fishing would be prohibited.

Z-man

Reaction score
I gladly put my name on the list.  This is getting a lot of attention in the San Diego area due to the closure of kayak fishing areas.  There are some businesses that will be out of a lot of income due to the closures, not to mention some of the local 1/2 day boats that depend heavily on these areas.  Do your part and pass that thread to all your buddies.  Thanks for the heads up Kid!

Megadeth

Reaction score
1 more, for what its worth. Them people would protect mosquitoes if they could!

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Thanks Kid for info, I just signed. It sucks that they just want to shut everything down, as megadeth put it they would protect mosquitoes if they could.

EVAN III

Reaction score
Thanks Kid, I just signed. Its B/S. If any one knows how maybe we can put it one all of the forums. Everyone needs to see this.

John.

tpm

Reaction score
I agree that I do not want restrictions on my access to anywhere. When the goverment gets a hold on something it is just about impossible to unravel what they have done. At least not in my lifetime. What brought all this on? Are the rockfish endangered? I would think the commercial fishing would have the biggest impact and fishing with a rod and reel would not cause overwhelming harm. The same people who would restrict our ability to fish are also the same people who go have a nice rock cod dinner overlooking the ocean. It seems there are just too many people in the world for us to maintain food supplys without fish farms. Maybe that is the answer.

d trees

Reaction score
Singed and sent to eveyone on my list so pass it on if you received it from me,d

Top Bottom