CO Elk Application

Sodhunter

Reaction score
I have a friend with access to some private property that borders NF. We can hunt private ground but I would like to be able to hunt forest also. He said just get private land license at hardware store over counter but I applied for tag in hhis zone. I put that hunt as first choice and nothing else. I asked for refund if not drawn. If NOT drawn, will I get a preference point? Also if they refund me can I still get a private land tag over the counter in Sept.? I was confused by the preference point first choice and all the stuff they had laid out for second second choice and refund options and private land tag wasn't an option I could find for second choice. Can anyone tell me if I messed up? Thanks in advance.

Litch

Reaction score
If not drawn on your first choice, you will get a PP. There is also an option if you do not plan to hunt, to put in for a PP, which is EP99999P. Was that where you confusion was?
I am not sure about over the counter landowner tags, but they do have over the counter Bull tags in Colorado if it is not a Trophy Area. There is also a leftover tag draw and over the counter for tags that did not meet quota, but you need to buy those at a DOW office, not a license dealer.
Also, once a season starts, you cannot buy a Bull tag from a license dealer, you need to go to a DOW office which are scattered around the State.

Sodhunter

Reaction score
Thanks Litch. It said put in that preference point number as 1st choice but you could then put in a second choice also I thought. That was where I got confused. So if they send a refund (or basically only ding my card for the app. fee), I will still be able to purchase a tag later and will have a preference point for next year then. Thanks a lot.

Sod

Litch

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sodhunter @ Apr 1 2008, 08:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks Litch. It said put in that preference point number as 1st choice but you could then put in a second choice also I thought. That was where I got confused. So if they send a refund (or basically only ding my card for the app. fee), I will still be able to purchase a tag later and will have a preference point for next year then. Thanks a lot.

Sod[/b]

That is correct. I put in for a PP for my 1st choice and a Cow tag as 2nd choice. The Cow tag is a slam dunk as they usually do not come close to the quota for that GMU.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Hopefully you've got your apps done and sent... today is the CO deadline.

Litch

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Speckmisser @ Apr 1 2008, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hopefully you've got your apps done and sent... today is the CO deadline.[/b]
Yeah Phil, all done. Took about 5 minutes online, very slick system.
They only need to be postmarked today if you are mailing them, they don't have to be in their office by the deadline like some other States require.

foulshot

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Litch @ Apr 1 2008, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Speckmisser @ Apr 1 2008, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hopefully you've got your apps done and sent... today is the CO deadline.[/b]
Yeah Phil, all done. Took about 5 minutes online, very slick system.
They only need to be postmarked today if you are mailing them, they don't have to be in their office by the deadline like some other States require.

[/b][/quote]

You notice how the tags are mailed from a different state?

Litch

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Speckmisser @ Apr 2 2008, 07:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

I think Foulshot is referring to the fact that Colorado DOW uses an outside agency for the handling of the tags. I believe it is a company in Kansas, but someone please correct me if i am wrong.

foulshot

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Litch @ Apr 2 2008, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Speckmisser @ Apr 2 2008, 07:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Foulshot is referring to the fact that Colorado DOW uses an outside agency for the handling of the tags. I believe it is a company in Kansas, but someone please correct me if i am wrong.
[/b][/quote]
C'mon Speck, I thought you were a details kinda guy??

CDOW uses a company out of Nashville, TN ~ Automated License Systems. I'm guessing that there are several F&G's that are going this route.

Sodhunter

Reaction score
I wish CA would get on line. You would think it would have to be a labor saver by having the info entered rather than doing it all off paper apps.

Top Bottom