CO GMU 34

270light

Reaction score
Just pulled a unit 34 mule deer tag, third season rifle. Has anyone ever hunted this area? Any info would be greatly appreciated. This will be my first out of state hunt and I'm really looking forward to it. With the travel involved and a likely busy summer fire season, I probably won't be able to get in a scouting trip. Thanks for any help

jackrabbit

Reaction score
I used to hunt up that way for years -- but I never remember now if it was Unit 33 or 34. I do believe you will be hunting the White Mountains "Flat Tops". I'll check my maps. With third season you might get the benefit of the migration; and Colorado had a website showing the migration trails. I'll have to look for that site again to help you. My group always set up base camp at 9K feet and never had to climb higher. If you promise to post pictures of the landscape, camp, and any game sightings I'll work a little harder on this! You can send me a private message and we can exchange email adresses.

Be sure to take snow chains. A lot of folks from the south and southeast woul go up during 2nd rifle season without chains and create havoc when the first snow came down and they panicked trying to get out. You will be close to the I-70 towns of Rifle to the west and Glenwood Springs (have to check out those names to be sure) for supplies. Glenwood is larger and has a mall. It has been at least 15 years years since I have been there, so maybe someone else who has more recent experience can help you out. But I will will help asd much as I can -- but I miss the place, and I want pictures!!!!

Big Moose

Reaction score
Check out the burn areas up there off of Storm King. Some good bucks have come out of there in recent years.

Jackrabbit is right about the tire chains. You may need to chain up all four tires. The mud can be just nasty. Good luck!

270light

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. Is storm king a lake or ridge or drainage? I don't recall seeing it on my map. At work now so I can't double check. Thanks again

Ridn9high

Reaction score
Storm king is in the southern part of the unit, just to the WNW of Glenwood. If you don’t have it yet, get OnXmaps and hunt the blm land. Sometimes hunting the private/public fencelines will produce a good buck as he is moving back on to private at daylight. The OnXmap will help a lot. I was a few units to the West last year during 3rd and the bucks were checking and pushing does during the hunt. Try to get a ways off the road where those better bucks will be holding up.

270light

Reaction score
Thank you very much. My buddy and I both have on x and its going to be useful. Thanks for the info. Will post if we're successful or not.

Top Bottom