CO Wiidllife Commission: Let sleeping bears lie. About to ban hunting denned bears.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
Anybody else gotta problem with the "new story" of this kill? Taken from the new article:

Craig hunter Richard Kendall told the Craig Daily Press in December that he was exploring a small cave near Meeker when he saw the bear then decided to shoot and kill it in its den.

That is NOT the same story the hunter gave first time around...not even close.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
Bruce, the story was wishy washie from the get go. It first said something about him tracking the bear to the cave, and then coming back later and killing it, with no account for the time of tracking to the cave, and later killing it, was it minutes, days, weeks, or months???? Nothing is his story said that he tracked the bear to the cave, waited outside and then went in after it; it simply said that he tracked it to the cave, and went back later and killed it (at least from my recollection). Seriously, have you ever tried to track a bear without dogs (even in snow), they just don't leave much evidence unless you have the nose of a hound. The odds are that the guy knew the bear hibernated in the cave, and took advantage of a bear that was virtually in a sedated state (hibernation); that simply is not fair chase as far as I am concerned. Frankly I had a problem with his story from the get go, you simply can't see in a dark cave without artificial light, which is illegal. Secondly, do ya really think that even with artificial light that he could actually make out that the bears ears were pinned back as he described? There was simply way to many holes in his story, and to many unanswered questions, as far as I was concerned. I wasn't there, so I simply don't know what happened and what didn't happen, but it raises both of my eyebrows.

With that said, the bear is still a magnificent animal, and the bear is due recognition as such; the hunter may be a different story.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Reckon the law is okay, but how are they gonna enforce it?

Huntr Pat

Reaction score
They keep saying the bear was sleeeping.But the story tells that the bear growled and aproached him. Who knows emotional times.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom