Cocking your crossbow?

Brnsvllyjohn

I have owned an Excalibur crossbow for about 4 years. I purchased it because they are almost idiot proof and easy to maintain. The issues I am having now is even with the cocking device it is killing my back. I may have to go to a winch type system. Has anyone here used a winch system on an Excalibur? They are so slow to load with the rope cocking system I am not looking forward to the increased time and having to carry more stuff but there may not be another choice. 2 years ago on a couple of hunts I had another hunter cock the bow for me but that is not a good long term solution.
Mine is a Vortex and way easier to load than the newer shorter models. I can't imagine cocking one of the latest ones that have 275 pound limbs. The limbs on mine are 200 pounds and I have shot a couple that were 225 and could barely cock those.

Brnsvllyjohn

I waited too long to make a decision or I shot too many practice shots. I basically hurt enough now that I am not hunting this week. Winch is on order but even with the winch on order some are thinking I should not hunt with my crossbow at all this year. They want me to wait a few weeks before shooting again then see how it goes. I don't think the crossbow is the only reason I am having issue right now. I figure if I get the crank even If I don't carry it in my pack I only need to cock the bow when I leave my vehicle and go hunt. If I don't shoot during that hunt I don't need to cock it again until the next time I leave my vehicle. Of course I have to shoot it every time I get back to the truck or quad to unload it but the winch will be there.

I guess my answer now would now be if you think you need something to help you out just buy the damn thing and if you don't always use it well so be it but if you need it it will be there.

OPAH

Is there any way to add a cheater bar to you cocking arm, make it longer and provide better leverage?

Brnsvllyjohn

The current system is a rope and pulley system. Basically a 2 to 1 ratio. Adding the winch to the rear of the stock means you just turn a handle. The winch for an Excalibur is a separate item that is removed every time. A winch on some other bands is permanently built in.

With a pulley system you are bending at the waist and your knees then pulling straight up using as much of your leg muscles as you can. Still adds strain to your back and stomach muscles. It is a completely different motion than drawing a standard bow. Can still be painful on the shoulder but once cocked you are not holding it and you only cock it a couple of times per day.

OPAH

I swore they had cocking arms (sticks) ? so much for what I know
I did see the crank handle assist for 139.00 ?

Brnsvllyjohn

Yep that's the price range. A little less or a little more depending on where you get it. I can easily spend that in gas on a hunting trip.

Last edited:

OPAH

Hey John have been running your cocking issue around and around and this time around this thought came up.
you now stick a foot through the loop in the front of the bow, hook the hooks to the string and then pull the handles to cock the bow correct?

If yes what about this find a padded strap that will go behind your head over your shoulders and to the handles, crouch or bend your knees to hook up to the handles and stand or straighten your knees, use your legs to pull the string to the cocking position?

Last edited:

Brnsvllyjohn

Not going to try to get too creative with the crossbow. The new winch cranking device will be here next week. I just should have ordered it when I started this thread or better yet 2 years ago when I had similar issues. I think as we start having issues we are too proud to do things differently. Grandparents don't want anyone to see them using a cane until there is no other way. You won't accept a handicap placard on your car because you don't need one and so on. I don't need that stuff yet but I should have ordered the cocking device two years ago. I don't have to use it all of the time but when I needed it it would have been there.

OPAH

Looked and looked for that clip from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid ?
Over the Hill bar clip. O well its a facts we all get older there John

Top Bottom