Cold Test

jayber

Reaction score
Ok, I've got some things to share regarding the initial testing I did putting a unit in the deep freeze.  Let me start by noting my configuration:  Owl Pf Date w/ new 'AA's, MS20 powered by 4 new 'C' Batteries, 24 exp. Polaroid film, deep freeze running between -1 & 4 degrees F.

I began by loaded the film in the camera and sticking the whole unit in the freezer to soak overnite.  Then, I would trip the sensor 2-3 times a day recording whether the sensor light would come on, if the camera would flash, if the film would wind, and any other observations.  I also noted the temperature at that specific cycle.

Well, it looked grim from the beginning.  The camera did not flash for the first picture nor did I hear the film wind.  It did sound like the shutter clicked.  Viewing the LCD panel, I noticed an 'H' flashing.  I'm not sure what this means as I could not find it under 'Troubleshooting' in the operator's manual.  I did shut the shutter on the camera and then the film proceeded to wind to frame 2.  So, I stuck the unit back into the freezer to continue testing.  I had no other problems through the end of the roll.

I wanted to see if I could duplicated the phenomenon so I removed the unit and let it warm back up to ambient temp. for several hours.  I reloaded the film and placed it back in the deep freeze for another duration.  Lo-and-behold, it did it again.......exactly as before, flashing 'H' and everything!  I left it in there for a couple of days to cycle through a few more pictures just to make sure.  During that time I started wondering if maybe the film froze to/at the canister opening due to moisture inside the camera/box.  So, I wound the film and let the hardware cycle back to ambient temp.  Then, I turned everything on, closed the box, and let it sit overnite hoping that the dissicant would remove any remaining moisture.  That following day it went back into the freezer for a duration.  No luck, the exact same thing happened with the camera/film for a third time.  I cycled a few more pictures again and then suspended the testing.  I can say that through about two 24 exp. rolls of film, the 'AA' batteries still showed full charge on the LCD display.

But, what about what was happening at the first picture (?).  Anybody have any ideas?  Any other testing variations that you think I should try?  I was going to run a full battery life test, but after seeing the batteries full after 2 rolls I figured it would take months.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Jayber

Thanx for the Deep Freeze Test.  

Maybe someday when Yote gets some more time and can look at this site again he can shed some light on the cold question.  I remember he said he used his cam down to -35 degrees and he complained about frost on the lens is all (I think)

I just now stuck a recently completed cam in the freezer to see how it does.  It has the MS20, a 2 stage timer and the Owl PF.  It is running on a 6v lantern battery.

In the morning I'll see if it takes a pix, In about 10 or 12 hrs and take a look at the display

Tinhorn

Possum

Reaction score
While you guys are at it, how bout do me some Kool-Aid popsicles.  It still gets warm down here in SC.:7-bouncin:

Bama

Reaction score
Jaybar,
I have had a few cams come up with the "H" problem.  According to Canon this is because of a error during power up or the film is not loaded correctly.  Are you using the same roll of film to do your test?  If so, try to change rolls b/c you might have a problem loading the initial portion of that roll.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Even tho everything was frosted over the camera worked fine this morning, there was not even a longer than usual delay that I could notice.

I tried it 3 times in the freezer (0 to -10 degrees), checking the counter each time, then removed it and when every thing was "Melting" it worked 2 times.......

My 1st 2 cams was built sometime in Jan last year and was in the woods about all winter and both seemed to work ok

Tinhorn

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi jayber,
Great info, thanks!

I guess each individual cam is a bit different.  Even at +25F  the Owl PF cam I tested would start to have a longer shutter delay after only 7 minutes. Didn't notice any other problems down to +5F though (as low as I could get my freezer to go).  Batteries were new alkalines.

I wonder if 'Yotee was using a Celsius thermometer. -35 degrees!!  I sure ain't goin' out to check cams when it's THAT cold.  Not when there's a nice hot wood stove to sit next to!

Archilochus

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
I have a camera that flashed "H" as well.  It doesn't have anything to do with the cold.  It only occurs when  try to take a picture with film loaded inside.  If you load the film it will advance until it stops and displays a 1.  Then when you try to take a picture it tries to advance and then flashed "H".  After this happens there is nothing I have been able to do to clear it except remove the film and batteries and start over.  If there is no film inside it will work fine as far as flash and shutter cycle.  I had figured on sending it back to Canon for repair.

Brian

jayber

Reaction score
That's just it, I can get the 'H' to disappear by simply closing the shutter.  Then it advances to 2 and works fine for the remainder of the roll.  I never did try the camera at ~70F ambient.  I'll try that next.....and possibly a new roll of film if it still gives me fits.

troll

Reaction score
Jayber,

How did your test @70 degrees go?  I have the flashing H problem as well and am curious as to how it came out.

(Edited by troll at 7:22 am on Oct. 3, 2001)

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 You say it has this problem with the first shot after loading?  Try doing this,load cam it advances to 1 now snap a shot to advance it to 2 or even 3 then freeze it and test.
 If this fixes it you can do this when you set it out during cold weather,from what you have told already it sounds as if it will work,but im now curious.

jayber

Reaction score
Troll,
Haven't got to additional cold testing lately.  Have been busy with my cams in the woods and with getting ready for bow season.

Passthru,
Had that listed on my scratch-pad as an additional test to do too as well.....thanks!

Might just save the balance of cold testing for real-life conditions this winter.

troll

Reaction score
Jayber,

Did the camera have the flashing H problem at 70 degrees, though?  I assume not if your cameras are out.  I have the flashing H at room temperature and was wondering if anyone has fixed it.  

Brian,  did you fix it?

Tonight, I'm going to go get new film and try to load it again.

(Edited by troll at 12:48 pm on Oct. 3, 2001)

jayber

Reaction score
Ohhhhhhhhh.......sorry I misunderstood your question.  Anyway, no I have never had a camera flash 'H' before trying the freezer test (knock on wood).  Still not positive what caused it.....just know it went away after closing the shutter/film wind.

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
I HAVE A PENTAX ZOOM 90WR CAMERA THAT I'VE HAD SINCE 1994.  RECENTLY I BEGAN TO HAVE ALL OF THESE "H" ERROR CODES.  I LOOKED IN THE MANUAL AND THERE WAS NO MENTION.  SO I WENT TO THE WEBSITE FOR PENTAX.  THE "H" CODES ARE A MESSAGE FOR THE TECHNICIAN TO REPAIR THE CAMERA.  THEY HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE SHUTTER.  I TOOK IT TO A LOCAL REPAIR SHOP AND THEY TOLD ME THE SHUTTERS WEAR OUT EVENTUALLY AND IT WOULD COST MORE TO REPAIR THE CAMERA THAN IT WAS WORTH.  HOPE THIS HELPS.  MAYBE THE SHUTTER IS STICKING WITH THE COLD TEMPS?

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Mostly wanted to bring this to the top for Yotee to see, now that he's slinking around the site a little now-a-days.

over the week end, one of my cams flashed H, it was 20 deg and probably occurred while I was hopping around the Tent (see Bowhunting for Leg Cramps)

after resetting, the counter is on 8,  just pulled the cam and will check it out this week sometime,  I noticed the Battery Indicator showed LOW.....

maybe thats it

Tinhorn

coyote

Reaction score
O.k. tinman thanx for bringin it up.
I have had the H as well...nothing  to do with humidity...everything to due with film advance.  Some spools start tough and mess up the advance and shutter.  Useally when the film is cold I have this.  but not always. fire off a couple it's fine again.
Yes that -35temp is celcius but 40f= 40C so your not that far off.  I double up all batts and run cams on 2 d cells.  Camera's work but batts have to be top notch.  BTWIt's so cold the LCD display panel is void.  Camera still work.  
frost is still my biggest problem...yoteee'

dharter

Reaction score
I hve had the "H" code recently.  I had thought that it meant humidty.  II turned off the camera by closing the shutter and the film advanced.  Other persons says that "H" is not humidity.  Maybe it is humid and it causes the film to stick and not wind easily.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Yotee!

you mentioned u're running the cam itself off 2 D batts,  did you just solder extension wires on the batt terminals when you had the cam apart or did you make Fake AA batt's somehow with wires on them going to the 2 D Cells?

Thanx

Tinhorn

coyote

Reaction score
Tinhorn I've done a couple of each.  I like to use direct 4 wire soft phone cord 22 gauge [Ithink] two for shutter and you guessed it ...positive papa and negative mama wire.
ohh the AA batery plug i use a couple shot-out primerless 22-250 brass...what coyote hunter won't have a few thousand o those stockpiled...takecare yoteee'

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Tinhorn,

Sounds like ya'll need to make yotee a heater for his cameras.  Cam Trakker has one they advertise for theirs.  Sounds like a new project.
:)
Brian

Latest Posts

Top Bottom