Colorado Springs man injured in confrontation with cougar

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Man Injured In Mountain Lion Confrontation.

Springs Resident Suffers Minor Injuries In Backyard Attack.

ABC News

1/8/02

A Colorado Springs, Colo., man came nose-to-nose with a mountain lion in his back yard Monday night and escaped with only minor injuries.

Mark Hurd, 46, told wildlife officers that he heard a commotion in his back yard and saw an animal attacking his small dog. He said he thought it was a German Shepherd and jumped on the back of the larger animal, only to discover it was a mountain lion -- not a dog.

Hurd scuffled with the lion for a few minutes then released his grip and the big cat ran off. Hurd was treated for cuts behind his ear and received stitches at a local hospital.

Colorado Division of Wildlife officers tracked the lion but called off the search early Tuesday morning after they failed to spot it.

The Division of Wildlife estimates there are between 2,000 and 3,000 mountain lions in the state.

"Mountain lions are common on the city's West Side," said Trina Lynch, Division of Wildlife officer. "We strongly encourage people who live in mountain lion habitat to secure their pets in covered kennels to prevent lion attacks."

"This is a good time to reiterate the some common sense precautions," said Lynch. "It's not uncommon for a mountain lion to travel through areas where people live and work. It's possible that the lion has killed a deer or other prey; so if you see a carcass covered with dirt, branches and leaves, it's best call the Division of Wildlife as it is likely the lion will return to continue feeding."

Lions are active year around, according to the DOW. Deer make up the main portion of a mountain lion's diet, but it is common for them to hunt small mammals. Wildlife officials stress that the best protection for pets is to make sure that kennels have coverings over the top to prevent lions from jumping in.

Mountain lions can travel many miles in a day, and typically have a territory of 100 square miles or more. Here are some precautions for people who live or recreate in areas where there are mountain lions.

End article

=================================================================

One lucky dude. Talk about pulling on Superman's cape.

~spectr17

Jackalope

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that one on the news last night.  Funny thing is, I drive by there every morning on my way to work.  No wonder I haven't seen any deer around there lately.....

Mike

nobuckkev

Reaction score
I don't think there is a man alive that can hang on to a mountain lion for as the article said " a few minutes" then release their grip. Maybe a few seconds before the lion cut the crap out of him trying to get away. I don't think jumping on the back of any animal that is in the process of attacking something is a wise idea for anyone. He was very lucky.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom