Colusa NWR 11/24

Baldplate

Reaction score
I guess I timed my trip to Colusa perfectly with the arriving storm and as a result I ended the day with 4 nice greenheads. I want to thank Jay for the information he gave me, because without his help I would have been lost since I have never hunted Colusa. I hunted pond one and I was again lucky to be surrounded by some true sportsmen in the pond that let the birds work. One group in particular were very helpful, by helping me find two of my greenheads that fell into some tules about 40 yards from their spread.Mike and his friend were hunting with a junior and they had two outstanding labs (1 choc and 1 blk ).I offered them the ducks they found for me, but they graciously declined and just said,"nice shot if you knock down any others I will be glad to help".I mention this because hopefully they read this forum and maybe they will contact me so I can thank them more formally for their sportsmenship. To often we only hear about the idiots that crowd your spread, shoot to high, shoot early or late, shoot over their limit, etc. These gentlemen are indeed some of the finest sportsmen I have ever shared a pond with on a public refuge. They have definitely restored some of my faith in our sport and the reason why I still only hunt Refuges (can't afford the nice clubs ). As far as the hunting goes, it was one of the best hunts I have had since my last trip to Tulelake last year. The refuge was in excellent condition and even the n/w pond was showing alot of good new growth, since I was told it had been cleared out 2 yrs ago. Most of the action I heard and saw though, came from the northern ponds 1 & 2. After my hunt I drove around alittle and checked out the closed zone which held thousands of ducks and geese (safe of course ). I drove into town and stopped at one of the best sporting good stores I have ever been inside. I bought a few items and enjoyed listening to other hunters reports of the days hunt. I think the name was something like Kittles. Great store and friendly town. Finally I would also like to thank the staff at the refuge for running a smooth and no non-sense operation with a very hunter friendly staff. The gentlemen that ran the check station appeared as if he has done this a few times before. The young lady that also worked the station was very helpful as well and about the best looking DFG employee I have ever seen. Well as you can tell I enjoyed myself and would love to come back next year. I hope I can return the hospitality from all who helped me.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Nice post, Baldpate.

It's good to hear positive words about something that so often gets ragged...the refuge system and the hunters you find there.

Jay

Reaction score
Not a prob.

Glad you were able to convert that info into 4 greenheads.

Baldplate

Reaction score
Whoadog, the town was Colusa and it is at the intersection of Hwy 20 and I believe Hwy 25. Great little store, I am sure the prices are not the lowest, but for a small town they are not bad at all.

Litch

Reaction score
You are right about the name Baldplate, it is Kittles. They are a great store and I try and give them as much business as I can. If you are looking for a good place for breakfast in Colusa, try Sharons which is about a block to the north of Kittles.
Congratulations on a good experience at the reguge. I am heading down to Colusa to hunt tomorrow, I sure hope the weatherman is right about the big storm.

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
baldplate,

The DFG employee, 5 ft tall, blonde hair big smile and very nice, if that's her that might be Melissa.  Melissa moved up north from Kern just over a year ago, very nice and looks to go with it!

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
Baldplate thanks for the nice comments about the labs, I am sure my friend would second that.  Could you believe all that wind.  I was back there Sunday and found 2 decoys while searching for a downed bird.  I hate to see lost birds and my dog loves the work, so I am just glad we could help you.  You had to like the way the birds worked in between "hurricanes".  We obviously had a pretty good shoot, but my 10 year old did shoot a hen, so we missed all greenies by  one greenhead.  Though it was a perfect shot over the dekes at 15 yards - as he put it - Too Tempting, Dad.  Anyhow glad you enjoyed yourself, it was a pleasure to help out.  Maybe we'll see you next year, the offer of the dogs will be good then, too.  

If you ever go to the refuge forum - the other guy was Fiddler's Green.  He got seperated from his brother coming out, so since it was alresdy shoot-time, I just invited him to hunt with my son & I.  Nice guy to hunt with, and a pretty skilled hunter.

(Edited by Mike Riley at 6:24 pm on Nov. 27, 2001)

Greenhead

Reaction score
Baldplate, it's great to hear someone with something postive to say. And Mike, kudos to you for helping out with the dogs.

We all get wound up and complain endlessly about stuff that happens on the refuges, but I can tell you I have far more days to remember than days to curse. And I still maintain that Refuge hunters are some of the very best in the sport. Hands down.

Jay

Reaction score
Mike & Baldplate,

Did you guys plan to meet up or did you just happen to bump into each other?

Baldplate

Reaction score
No plans to meet as a matter of fact until that day I had never met Mr. Riley. I can tell you one thing for sure , I would gladly share a pond with him and his partners anytime.  I was also wondering how much better all our refuge hunting experiences would be if we would take a few mins. before the hunt started to walk over to our neighbors and introduce ourselves and offer help if the other party needs anything. I know that may sound alittle mushie, but think about it for a while. If you belong to a club would you not introduce yourself to other members before or after the days hunt is over sure you would. Why then do we refuge hunter go out of our way to avoid any contact with our neighbors except to yell across the pond to let the birds work. I am guilty of this my self and it took this past weekend to wake myself up. I know my father did not teach me that way , I guess we all get rapped up in our busy daily lives that when we get to the duck blind we forget that the guy next to us is there for the same reasons. I don't think any of us pack our gear the night before our trip with the thought of screwing up the hunt for the guy sharing the pond next to us. Sorry don't mean to preach but my trip to Colusa had alot of meaning for me and I am going to try and change my attitude prospective the next time I am lucky enough to get the opportunity to be in the field enjoying our sport.

Jay

Reaction score
It's a small world after all, it's a small world after all, it's a small, small world.

Group hug!

Hundreds of miles from home and you bump into Riley and son. What are the odds?

Mike's son is a chip off the block isn't he?

hntndux

Reaction score
Well, I probably be up the next Wednesday (#6) if we get some weather so hopefully I'll have the same experience.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom