Colusa NWR

Baldplate

Reaction score
Each year I reluctantly agree to spend Thanksgiving Holiday with my wife's family in Sacramento, as long as she agrees to not complain if I get lucky enough to draw a reservation for one of the North Sacramento Valley Refuges.This are refuges that I would not normally be able to hunt because of the distance. Last year I drew Sutter NWR and the year before it was LDC. Thanks to the help from many of you, both hunts were very successful.Well this year I was lucky again and I drew Colusa for Sat. Nov. 24. What information I found on my own tells me this is a free roam area like Sutter. The past week results indicate that hunting has been poor is that typical for this area this time of year or might it improve by Thanksgiving. I also need some help as to the type of hunting conditions I might expect(tules,short grass,or open water).How is Colusa for geese and should I consider halling out my floaters or are geese just incidental to duck hunting.I noticed by the map that the closed area is at the north end of the refuge by abel road.I would imagine that most people crowd that area trying to catch the birds leaving the closed zone? How is hunting in the southern portion of the refuge and how would you rate Colusa over all as refuge. I am very thankful for any help anyone could offer and if I could return the favor if you are ever hunting either Mendota or Kern refuges I will be more then glad to help out. Good and safe hunting to all.  

Baldplate

Reaction score
Each year I reluctantly agree to spend Thanksgiving Holiday with my wife's family in Sacramento, as long as she agrees to not complain if I get lucky enough to draw a reservation for one of the North Sacramento Valley Refuges.This are refuges that I would not normally be able to hunt because of the distance. Last year I drew Sutter NWR and the year before it was LDC. Thanks to the help from many of you, both hunts were very successful.Well this year I was lucky again and I drew Colusa for Sat. Nov. 24. What information I found on my own tells me this is a free roam area like Sutter. The past week results indicate that hunting has been poor is that typical for this area this time of year or might it improve by Thanksgiving. I also need some help as to the type of hunting conditions I might expect(tules,short grass,or open water).How is Colusa for geese and should I consider halling out my floaters or are geese just incidental to duck hunting.I noticed by the map that the closed area is at the north end of the refuge by abel road.I would imagine that most people crowd that area trying to catch the birds leaving the closed zone? How is hunting in the southern portion of the refuge and how would you rate Colusa over all as refuge. I am very thankful for any help anyone could offer and if I could return the favor if you are ever hunting either Mendota or Kern refuges I will be more then glad to help out. Good and safe hunting to all.  

Jay

Reaction score
The numbers you're seeing are typical for the November doldrums which occur after the local birds have been shot up and before the northern birds migrate in.

I'd rate the north valley refuges as follows:

1. Little Dry Creek
2. Delevan
3. Sacramento
4. Sutter
5. Colusa
6. Gray Lodge
7. Howard Slough

Some guys would probably put Sutter above Sacramento.

Colusa can be hot or cold. Sometimes it can produce a 6 bird average with mostly mallards. On other days you may see half a million birds leave the closed zone, fly over your head 500 feet up and never get a shot all day long.

Geese are usually pass shot in the fog or heavy wind so I wouldn't bother lugging out goose decoys.

Hit me on the message sender if you want more.

(Edited by Jay at 8:05 pm on Nov. 13, 2001)

Megadeth

Reaction score
Jay, You crack me up. You accidently placed Sac, Colusa and Gray Lodge above Howard. I've hunted it every Wed. including openers and still hold a 5 bird average, but that only happens thru studying my hunting areas and refining my skills every time out. Howard is the only place I hunt anymore, because of the overcrowding elsewhere. How did you do at Grizz on peasant openers?

MQ

Reaction score
First of all Colusa has lots of tules and deep water, so bring your waders and a dog. The north end gets lots of crowding as the shooting can be quite good there, but I shy away from that. Used to hunt the west side to avoid the crowds, but they screwed up my mallard hole by mowing the place down. Pond 5 on the south end is pretty good and is where I would head now. Get as close to the very middle as you can. Best of luck to you...

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
I believe MQ means ponds 6.  If you have goose floaters you might try using them on the north end of the west side (pool 24).  The geese have been sitting in the close zone above pool 24.  Lots of snows and specks.  If there is a storm you could probably limit on geese and pick up a few ducks, too.

MQ

Reaction score
Thanks for the correction Mike. I did mean pond 6, instead of 5.....

Top Bottom