Combo unit-v-rangefinder & bino seperately

Buckeyes

Reaction score

I am looking to buy a decent pair of binoculars as well as a reasonably priced rangefinder
I am not sure if I should look to get one of thise combination products such as the:

COMBO UNITS:

Bushnell 8x36 Combo($499),
Leupold Wind River RB800 8/32 ($699),
Leica 8x42 Geovid BRF ($1,500 probably more than I can afford to spend without my wife shooting me with the new gun I just purchased),
Leica 10x42 Geovid BRF (1,600 the grandaddy of them all am my dream set-up)

I have also considered buying the bino's and rangefinder seperately and thus far seem to really like the:

BINOCULAR ONLY:

Nikon Monarch ATB Camo 10x40 ($299 really decent optics for a very reasonable price).

RANGEFINDER:
Nikon Laser 600 Buckmaster $261
Bushness yardage Pro 500 $199

What do you think fo the combo eyepieces versus just binoculars and separate rangefinders. This will be my first purchase of binoculars of significant value and I want to spend a reasonable amount and still e happy with the purchase.
Besides the obvious clarity of the bino's and reliability of the rangefinder, several items particularly important to me are durability/good manufacturer warranty, lightweight and waterproof features. Has anyone used the combination products? Soes anyone have any recommendations? What are your suggestions on the above items? Thank you for your input, it is much appreciated

KevinZ

Reaction score
Hey Buckeyes;

I am also in the market for new Binoculars and a rangefinder. And the choices and options you denoted are exactly what I have been considering. There was a posting about this back in January I beleive. Seems like people were not that keen on the combo binocular/range finder.

I think I will end-up getting the Nikon Monarchs and Nikon rangefinder.

Buckeyes

Reaction score
KevinZ,

Thanks for the reply. I was at Bass Pro Shops yesterday and checked out the combo units...at least the Wind River unit. It was bulky, had permafocus and also had individual optic focus' on the eyepieces. I ruled it out immediately. After talking with the counter guy at BPS, I also ruled out the Bushnell. I think that the idea is great and I hope that more folks do start to make the combo units, but I think that the only reliable manufacturers now are the high priced Leica's ($1,500+) and maybe the Newcom's.
So I am going to get the Nikon Monarch's and get a separate rangefinder. Probably the Nikon or the Bushnell

Thanks
Good luck to you

Val

Reaction score
I would recommend separate binos and Laser Rangefinder. I have a set of Leopold Wind River Cascade 10X42 that have a long eyerelief so I can use them comfortably wearing my bifocals (getting old is not for wimps) and a Leica 1200 range finder. I carry the binoculars with a harness that keeps them close to my chest when not in use and the rangefinder I carry in a pouch on my belt. Since they are separate units they are both pretty compact and light. I use the binoculars much more that I use the rangefinder. Having separate units allows you to optimize the binoculars and rangefinder for your needs and hunting situation.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom