Commercial Camera Using Canon Owl

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Last week I was at a big hunting show here on the east coast.  There was a booth selling trail cams using the exact same Canon Owl PF and Canon Owl BF cameras that we use in the Home-brew Camera Project.  I asked the lady at the booth if it was coincidence that they use the same camera as the home brew cameras on the internet.  She says "you mean Jesse's Page?  The Owl cameras are just a nice camera."     Yeah, right....  I then walked away shaking my head.  They selling these cameras for $300.

You can check out their website at http://www.trailsenseengineering.com

(Edited by ToddP at 9:59 am on Feb. 13, 2002)

Welby

Reaction score
Not only that brand....

I was in the Mossy Oak outlet a few months ago with my brother and was looking at the trail cameras they had on display.  One I looked at (dadgummit!  I can't remember the brand, but it is a well known model!  Something like "Photo-Scout" or similar.) was almost identical to the inside of my homebrew unit.  It even had a Canon SureShot Owl Date camera. I couldn't believe how remarkably similar the wiring was to some of the homebrew units displayed on this site.

I think we did succeed in getting the manufacturers' attention.  Now, if they will just do the right thing about it and price theirs like they should be priced.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Looks like a home-brew copy to me.

:gunfighter:                        

(Edited by TNDEERHUNTER at 8:57 am on Feb. 13, 2002)

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Trail cams have been around in different forms for around 20 years now.  I'm sure some companies "borrow" ideas from these pages, but mostly they seem to be copying each other.  And don't we get ideas back from them occasionally??
I'd say that the Owl series is just about the perfect "trail-cam" camera on the market in terms of cost and features and that it's inevitable that it would be used - even if these web-pages did not exist.

Archilochus

Don

Reaction score
They are probably the reason we can't find them.

Dbworld

Reaction score
The Canon owls pf dates are everywhere around here in Michigan.  I don't have any problem finding them.  Usually $49.  One place  charges $59...but other stores in the same chain charge $49.   Of course I don;t need anymore either....that's probably why.

Rooter

Reaction score
I was also at the show.  Hey if people pay that much for the cams it is their problem.  

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi jayber,
On your question << So where are they getting all their Owls?!  >>  I might have a 'general' answer.
Back about 9 or 10 years ago I was workin' on a project.  We needed about 100 Olympus Infinity Jr cams.  Called around to the local camera shops for quantity discounts, but most retailers only gave a small break.  Finally ended up dealing with a large New York camera importer(?) that sold us the cams at about 3/5 retail cost.

If you want a lot of cams, you can usually order them at a discount from one of the big camera companies on either coast (as long as the cams are still being made).

This brings up an interesting possibility.... All us home-brewers could pool our funds and buy a bunch of Owls at 'wholesale'!  Then we can be the reason that 'they' can't get the Owls... Bwwaaa Haaaa Haa Ha Ha. [evil grin]

Archilochus

slyder

Reaction score
hmmmmm......Maybe we should start our on production company....1600 some odd members.....each member produce 2 cams a week or so......at $300 a pop...........not a bad chunk o change

MBullism

Reaction score
"We believe one game scouting camera will not be enough to meet your scouting needs. That is why we have priced the TrailMAC to make it more affordable for hunters to buy several cameras!"

ROTFLMAO

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
Well, I try not to be overly critical...... but.....
Well, that thing stands out like a.... well... it really stands out against that tree it's mounted on.
And I was not real impressed with the photo galery either....
JMHO

Top Bottom