Condor strangles on discarded rope near Fillmore

fndaway66

Reaction score
Watching National Geographic the other night they had a thing on condors. One of them died and the biologist was quick to say it was lead poisoning. An x-ray later showed that it suffocated to death by swallowing a coin.

Caninelaw

Banned
Reaction score
Watching National Geographic the other night they had a thing on condors. One of them died and the biologist was quick to say it was lead poisoning. An x-ray later showed that it suffocated to death by swallowing a coin.
I saw that one before. That biologist really looked disappointed that it wasn't a lead poisoning on that one.

On a brighter note, if those stupid things end up killing themselves off and actually go extinct maybe they'll remove the lead ban since there's no "endangered" species to protect any more. (yeah...right).

easymoney

Reaction score
Better go out and buy some rope before it's banned...

Caninelaw

Banned
Reaction score
Read the article and just had to comment on a couple things...

“They don’t have opposable thumbs and they are curious, and that can get you into trouble,” said Michael Woodbridge, a spokesman for the Hopper Mountain National Wildlife Refuge Complex, one of the main areas set aside for condor restoration. “People should pack out their trash, whether it’s ropes or bottles.”
Should read "...they are STUPID..."
Two deaths don’t cause too much harm to the overall population; however, since there are only 360 condors left in the world, every one counts, he said.
Huh?! If that isn't a contradictory statement I've never heard one...I wonder if he actually said that or if that is typical "accurate" reporting?

The country spends $5 million annually for the intensive efforts to restore the birds to sustainable populations, including feeding them, inoculating them against West Nile virus and sometimes taking them by helicopter to a veterinarian. It works out to about $14,000 per bird.
You've gotta be kidding me!?!? Hey, Governor! I just found $5 million more you can help balance the budget with!

Orygun

Reaction score
This state spends close to $12K a student with similar results.

betelgeuse

Reaction score
This state spends close to $12K a student with similar results.

:rotflmao:

I think FT is right.

If you look at the picture in the article it appears to be suicide.

It probably stems from the shame of having to wear those badges and GPS, being poked and prodded all of the time and being followed around constantly. That coupled the fact that they have to be fed by humans was probably too much for the little fella to take. :bag-on-head:

Top Bottom