Confession time: When the shooting is slow

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
I'm always amazed at how many guys shoot at anything with wings when I'm out on the dove opener.  I think it's more than the fact that they can't identify a dove, I think it's because they are bored and want to shoot something.  I did it when I first started hunting 20 years ago, but I don't see the fun of it now.  Besides it being wrong to shoot the little critters, it's a waste of good shells.  

A guy in the field next to us got popped by an AZ game warden for having what I believe he said was a Mexican dove of some kind.  This thing looked a LOT like a mourning dove, except it was a little smaller and the beak was a little longer than a dove's.  I saw the thing flying and was hoping it would come my way because I planned to shoot it.  I think it's pretty screwed the guy was cited for it.  

Anyway, anybody have any thoughts?

Regards,
Paul

Swampy

Reaction score
                I also pulled the young and dumb thing when I first started. Saw some kids on the opener this year shoot at some swallows after their dads had left. At least that is what we think they were shooting at because they sure didn't hit any. I will probably be put away for it but I will admit I am guilty of taking out a  dragonfly now and again. Yes, it is a waste of a shell but what the heck, I guess I'm not completely over it.

grizz

Reaction score
I'll shoot at dragon flys every now and then.  They can be tuff to hit sometimes. Crows sometimes, but they got to be in season.  :wink-yellow: As for dicky birds no, I got to try to set somekind example for the kids. :angel-halo:  
Why the heck is there a season on crows anyway?

DanV

Reaction score
Ditto with Grizz, them damn dragonflies can really try your patience when your scanning the sky for doves and they, usually one keeps buzzing you. Have not shot tweetys in 25 years (early shotgun training years). Get the son enough shooting on legal birds and clays he will not have to shoot tweetys at all, I hope!

hunter mike

Reaction score
I too have a confession.  About ten years ago when I only had a BB gun, I shot a few birds that I shouldn't have.  One was a hummingbird.  I am still a bit proud I hit the tiny thing because of the shooting skill involved however I don't bring it up much as I now try to follow the law.

paulc

Reaction score
since it is confession time... when i was 9-12 i always shot any bird i could with a bb gun... i was at my grandmothers and i saw a mocking bird.. i shot it and down i went.. i had winged it... for the next 2 weeks at my grand mothers this winged mocking birds would startle me all over her place...she had a big place... i felt bad.. after that i never shot a mockingbird again... starlings and sparrows are still fair game.. hunting with my son now obviously i set a good example and do not shoot tweetie birds..and i have not shot a tweetie bird myself in 10+ years. he does enjoy shooting  them with his bb gun and i am ok with that.. i did let him shoot a crow with the shot gun because they are actually in season..

MNHNTR

Reaction score
I know we all shot at birds (sparrows) with BB guns, but as the years have passed, the sparrows and tweeties have been safe.  On the dove hunts I have never shot a tweetie and it is a source of pride, besides the law, not to shoot what is not legal game.

(Edited by MNHNTR at 8:43 am on Sep. 8, 2001)

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
The ground doves are a lot smaller and flit around lower to the ground than mourning doves. They have prominent cinnamon in their wings you can see when they are flying and sometimes visible when they are sitting unlike a mourning dove. The reg about shooting them is spelled out in the dove regs real clear. To me, if you shoot first and then wonder what it was you shot you shouldn't be out there. Sorry Paul,  you can't tell me them boys who got tagged didn't notice the difference in the doves when they retreived  the first ground dove.

Here is a website with info and pics of what a common ground dove looks like.

http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i3200id.html

A knucklehead with us a few years ago shot a flushing hen pheasant at Wister while duck hunting. He tried to explain how it looked like a duck flushing. I don't think so. If there is any doubt you just don't pull the trigger. I seem to remember some part of hunter eduction about knowing the game before you head into the field.

huntducks

Reaction score
Jesse I agree with you 100%

Can you imagine how many tickets will be written this year for shooting a Canvasback during closed period, most guys can't ID ducks in hand let lone flying, I watched some guys blaze away at nighthawks this year up in the Owens valley during dove opener.

I still shoot Starlings every chance I get when nothing else is flying, try it with a 28ga or 410 what a blast.

Fubar

Reaction score
Jesse is right on the money. If you cant identify it, DONT SHOOT IT.            Fubar

Pasco

Reaction score
Those tweeties do try my patience at times, especially when they come suddenly on a slow day and I have the stock to cheek and really want a bird.  I hunt with my kids and never pull the trigger unless it's a legal shot.  Sounds like fun dusting a dragonfly, but I think I would send the wrong message to the kids.
Having said that, let me relate something to you guys, I'm wondering how you would deal with this...I was out plinking with my kids this SUMMER when a rabbit 'hunter' came by.  We talked about how good the quail season would be this fall, we had both seen and heard lots of birds.  He then told me that he had 'accidentally' shot 2 quail the weekend before (remember this is July in SoCal), he thought they were rabbits.  While we were talking a rabbit came out and he got it, then went on his way.  Later we met up again and he said he got another quail.  This really irritated me but I felt I was dealing with a criminal with a shotgun and I really didn't want to confront him about it.  I thought about calling CalTip but if he got busted he would know it was me, and I want to go back and hunt there without him on my case.  I took the opportunity to explain poaching and cheating to my kids but that's all I did.  Have you run into this before, what did you do?

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Jesse.  I'm telling you, though, this bird was not much smaller than a mourning dove.  It looked like it could be a juvenile mourning dove and it was not low flying.  It was a good 40 feet off the deck.  And it was flying just like a mourning dove, no gliding just steady wingbeats.  The guy was pretty unhappy about the ticket, wish I knew what came of it but he wasn't with our group so I guess I'll never know.  Made me a little sketchy after the guy got cited, though.

Regards,
Paul

horseshoer

Reaction score
Unfortunately have seen a lot of birds and bats and everything else shot during slow times.  By far the worst witnessed a guy shoot a Red Tail Hawk, would have reported that one but didn't have to. An undercover Game Cop in the field saw the whole thing. I wish I knew what happened never heard though.  Hope he got the book.

maodiver

Reaction score
I know that this is an unpopular thing to say, but not turning someone in because you don't want him to rag on you, is kinda questionable.  I mean, what can the guy do?  It's not like he is going to kill you over a ticket (unless it is SoCal ;-§).  If he gets away with it, he will keep "accidentally" shooting animals.  Aren't quail still raising a brood during the summer?  Seems like the guy needed a lesson

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Paul,

I guess if the dove was flying that high it would be hard to tell the difference. I've never seen ground doves fly up that high but I can't say it didn't happen.

SoCalxJR,

I picked up my cell phone and dialed it and then waited for the warden and gladly pointed the dirtbags out.

One time I gave a weasel that illegally shot a spike buck the beneifit of the doubt only to find out he was a big time poacher a year later. I regret that to this day.

jerry d

Reaction score
I'll admit to shooting a dragon fly once in awhile.

Long ago I was dove hunting with a friend and during a dry spell between doves he bet me 10 bucks I couldn't hit the dragon fly that was buzzing back and forth in front of us.

I lost 10 bucks that day and I guess it stuck with me. From time to time I still try to hit one just to prove I can.

No, I ain't gonna bet ya 10 bucks!!!!!:big-grin-aqua:

Pasco

Reaction score
Jesse,
Not busting this guy has been eating at me too.  I'm surprised you're the only one who has run into this, or at least done the right thing.  Next time I'll call someone, I'm sure he is still doing it.  By the way, this is out near Redlands, maybe come October we can go chase a few birds.

fadetoblack76

Reaction score
If you're shooting "tweety birds" you are not an ethical hunter. It is immature in my opinion. I did it when I was a kid and I learned not to do it. We all know the reason that we did it. Because we were young and wanted to shoot something. If you haven't gotten over it or you teach your kids it's ok then you and not ethical. It is not right to kill something for no reason. It defies hunting and makes a pretty good case for the anti-hunters. It is downright disrespectful to mother nature and wildlife. Sorry if I offended anybody but if you were all completly and truly honest with yourselfs you would realize that it is true.

Jason

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
In all honesty nothing irritates me more than when I'm out quail hunting (or other specific bird or game) and someone in my group (usually a younger person) just H-A-S to shoot at a sparrow, tree, rabbit, or plain air just to make it "sound" like their having success or needing to shoot something, anything!

It is seldom these types are with me more than once or twice a year, but is once or twice too many for me. My 27 & 25 year old sons do not do it, as they were taught better. Oldest one has shot the wrong bird by honest mistake earlier in his hunting career but that's it.

It is immature, unethical and plain stupid IMHO and has no place in our hunting world. Especially todays hunting world. We have enough going against us today and sure don't need to shoot ourselves in the foot on top of it, sorta speaking.

Ok, I'm off my soap box

bzzboyz

Reaction score
I don't do it, but I don't know if it's because I'm ethical or just to dam cheap to waste the shells.

And by the way. How in the heck did you guys dig up this relic of a thread?

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom