Confession time

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
I confess I'll shoot shovelers everytime they come in!!  Hence how I was given my handle.  My hunting partners will sit in the blind embarrassed while I blaze away filling my limit with spoonies.  Amazingly enough, once the ducks are cleaned and cooked I have yet to find ANYONE who can pick them out from the other birds.  The worst tasting ducks I have ever eaten were mallards off of our farm ponds in the early season.  Those suckers gotta be smoked to get rid of the pond scum flavor.  Any other closet spoonie assasins?

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
I may be setting myself up here but...

My first duck taken was a spoonie.

mudroller

Reaction score
I shoot them, they are like mosquitos, if you don't swat 'em they keep coming back. Most of the time I let them and the coots swim in the decoys. Good entertainment, but they better not do it on a slow day.

jerry d

Reaction score
I've seen days when spoonies - Opps,excuse me, Northern Shovelers were a welcome sight.

Don't make it a steady practice but, hell yes, I'll take one on a slow day.

Fubar

Reaction score
Shovelerslayer   Maybe your question should be who hasnt shot a spoonie. I think they are a beautiful bird but the ones around the Salton Sea taste terrible.         Fubar

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
Fubar,

I shoot most of my Northern Shovelers out of the rice fields.  I wonder if that makes them taste that much better?  I swear that once they are cooked no one seems to mind them.  Yet the divers (ringnecks, Scaup, goldeneye, and redheads) have all been complained about.  Only diver my crew likes is the Cans, and I get very few of those.

gtbait

Reaction score
Spoonies are to duck hunting that Bluegill are to fishing. Some hold 'em in disdain like drawing a pair of dueces in cards. Whatever the case I'm still in the game. Then again, I've been known to eat Carp and scramble a Coot or 2 with my morning eggs. I ain't so pretty either and have been in bad taste a time or 2 as well. Isn't the idea to harvest fair game?

Fubar

Reaction score
Gt  At least Bluegill taste good.             Fubar

hntndux

Reaction score
If he's cupped and coming in hard, which is usually how they always come in, I can't resist.  Sometimes on those clear, still Sunday afternoon's air maggots are the only thing flying and can provide some great action.  Two years ago four of us shot 17 of them at SAC on a Sunday...we weren't proud, but we sure were happy!  I agree on the taste also..they do taste slightly different, but not bad if they're shot around rice.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Unlike Specks, I can't seem to miss spoonies.  While I pretend to be picky, the ones that get me are the hens, screaming in over my back... I look up, see orange feet, and BANG!  

Once in a while, I'll shoot one on purpose too.  They're not too bad if they've been eating in the rice fields.  I like to filet the breast meat, then slice the filets, then skewer them and wrap with bacon and a good sweet marinade... not too bad, especially if you can mix in some mallard or teal.

Litch

Reaction score
They are also very good when made into jerky. I marinate them for about 24 hours and throw em in the smoker at very low heat until they are dry.

Ponscm

Reaction score
Easy on the Pond Scum analogy Shoveler Slayer!

My first duck was a spoonie as well.  Would you believe me if I told you I still shoot them once in a while purely for the nostalgia of my first duck?!?!?!
;) ;) ;)

jerry d

Reaction score
Once upon a time we had this grand old Oriental gentleman at our trap club that could take a spoonie, oop's, Northern Shoveler or coot breast and make mouth watering stew.

Had a receipe for a "secret" marinade that he carried to his grave.

He was too old to hunt anymore and from time to time would ask us to bring him a limit of coots which he would turn into his stew at the trap club. Wish I had some right now!!!

Man, this brings back some good memories!!!!

Z-man

Reaction score
What would be worse, spoonies or ruddies?  I see a lot or spoonies out at Salton Sea, but they don't compare to the number of ruddies at Barrett Lake outside san diego.  I'll take a shot at a spoonie on a slow day, but I always pass up on the ruddies.  Although I see a lot of fellas with limits of ruddies in the local paper report.  But then again, blue bird skies will make you shoot at just about anything that flies!

buckhunter

Reaction score
my matto is that if it has a "bill it will need a will" And the only distinct bill I see is a spoonie so keep shootin'.

Jay

Reaction score
I seem to recall ol' Scank claimed that he'd never shot a spoonster but I'll stand corrected if he straightens me out.

If it's slow I'll shoot the "other greenhead". Marinate them and their awesome. My wife actually prefers the taste over mallard.  

Greenhead

Reaction score
Jay, if your wife prefers a shoveler over a mallard, what does that say about her choice in men? Seems to me like both choices are fairly suspect...

Welcome back!

TealMan

Reaction score
I typically won't shoot a spoon, but sometimes they are just smiling at me in just the right way...

Latest Posts

Top Bottom