Confrontation in the field

FTTPOW

Reaction score
I just got back from the first week of Ohio's 4 week season. We left last Saturday night to get settled in to our cabin in advance of Monday's opener. Sunday afternoon we took a little nap. While I was still pounding my pillow we got a visit from a new neighbor that just moved onto the scene last fall. He has permission to hunt the same farm as us. He informed my buddy that he and 3 others were going to hunt the exact spot that I've been hunting for the past 30 years and that he didn't want to see us there. He was very blunt and forcefull. My buddy definately should have awakened me, but chose not to.

After I woke up and heard the demands that he'd earlier made, I immediately went to the landowner for clerification. He assured me that I could hunt anywhere on his land and that he'd talk to the newcomer and remind him that HE was the only one that he gave permission to and not his 3 buddies. Everything looked to be dealt with by the right people.

Monday morning I parked my 4 wheeler in my usual spot and started across the field in the dark. I hadn't gone but a few hundred yards when I saw another 4 wheeler coming down the road, past the spot I thought he would stop at and park directly where I'd parked. The still pre-dawn silence erupted in a profane demand to know who parked in his spot and what the "h" I thought I was doing there. I replied back that I was hunting and had permission. The next thing I know and this clown was running across the field to me ranting and raving about being clear that he didn't want to see us in his newly staked out claim. He thought that just because he only lived 1/2 mile away he seemed to have the right to take over without thinking that others shared the same property, who'd been there long before him and already had their favorite areas.

I made it clear that I didn't care what he thought or where he lived and that I had permission by the landowner to hunt any place that he owned, not what this newcomer alloted me. The next morning he might find me parked in the same spot, in this spot, that spot or that spot and that I'd feel free to move around during the day if so desired. He needed to talk to the landowner since I already had.

I felt that he was ready to come to blows at any moment and that I may need to stick the muzzle under his chin for my own protection. Fortunately for us all, it didn't come to that. He stomped back out to the road and I went on to my chosen spot of 30 years and began the hunting season.

Later that afternoon I explained the encounter to the land owner and he made a phone call to the newcomer to clarify what the privilege of having permission granted to him meant. I wish he'd made that call a day earlier. It may have prevented the whole ordeal.

What's with some people? He knew others hunted there, yet he tried to take over without finding out if he was infringing on where others have been doing it for years before he came onto the scene.

On the bright side, the landowner and his hired hands know this guy's a jerk from past experience and he won't be allowed to access his land if he causes any more problems.

On the down side, one more encounter could turn out to be real ugly.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
FTTPOW,

I wonder why the landowner gave this guy permission in the 1st place. Knowing he was a jerk. Kinda ruins the hunt doesn't it..............

FTTPOW

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ilovesprig @ Apr 27 2008, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
FTTPOW,

I wonder why the landowner gave this guy permission in the 1st place. Knowing he was a jerk. Kinda ruins the hunt doesn't it..............
[/b]

This jerk is a realtor and the landowner is using him for some other property that he's trying to sell for condos. We're hoping that when and if all the dealings are done, so is he. Hopefully his new wife will see the kind of moron he is and he won't last.

inchr48

Reaction score
Good luck out there FTTPOW, and be careful.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Worst case someone gets hurt.

Even worse is the land owner gets tired of all the fussing and tells everyone to stay off his land. I've seen that happen on more than one occasion.

Good Luck. Sounds like the guy is a turd in a punch bowl............

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
Just remember that you never know what crazy people are out there... no turkey is worth getting shot over. By the way you never said if you got one or not???

FTTPOW

Reaction score
Yes, I did get one later that morning. It had a soothing affect after the way the morning started.

Advertisement

Top Bottom