• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Converting .308 to 6.5-284

Mr. Luckypants

I have an old rem 700 PSS in .308. I would like to rebarrel it in 6.5-284. Anyone know if this is possible without too much modifications?

MarinePMI

I haven't played with this particular round, but IIRC it is a long action round(?).

If that is true, the short action .308 would not allow for the length of the cartridge, thereby negating the possibility of rebarreling...

Not sure, but just looked and the case COL is set for 3.228". Off the top of my head, I couldn't say definitively whether that would work in a short action or not...I'm thinking not...

Gyopo

I think a short action is too short to maximize a 6.5x284. Might as well go with a .260.

XDHUNTER

Do any one of you guys know a gunsmith in southern cal that can do rebarreling.. specially in the SF vally.

And to answer the OP. no the length of the 284 is long....

Mr. Luckypants

Dang. this is an old post.

I went with a 260 instead. In fact, I have two .260s. I never modified the rem pss but instead went with Savage. I'm glad I did as I do not need a gunsmith now. :)

CIENTIROS

I had a Remington 700 .308 short action. I converted it into a 6.5 x 284. I understood the limitations and built it around the fact that I'd be shooting 130gr out of it, which is fine for Blacktail deer. I'm happy with it.

Top Bottom