Converting loads to "Green" Bullets?

Caninelaw

Banned
Reaction score
I currently shoot 150 gr. Nosler Partitions in my 7mm Rem Mag but, due to the "non-toxic" requirements in certain areas I guess I'll have to switch to Barnes bullets (or something similar). Just wondering, would the same weight copper bullet preform the same as the Nosler or will I have to work up an entirely new load?

On a side note to that, the above question may be a moot point anyway. I may still have to work up a new load as I was using IMR4895 powder and I can't find any of that anywhere and have heard that they're discontinuing that powder anyway. Anybody heard the same or is that BS?

I'M DK

Reaction score
The non lead bullets have slightly different powder requirements.
Maximum powder charge runs a few grains less than lead core bullets.

It's also possible that stepping down one weight class will give you
better terminal performance with a non lead bullet.

DK

myfriendis410

Reaction score
The non lead bullets have slightly different powder requirements.
Maximum powder charge runs a few grains less than lead core bullets.

Hold on there: Barnes lists in their instructional booklet that the new TSX has a lower bearing surface thereby reducing drag and allowing for max charges of powder. The Barnes BOOK however, is extremely conservative about their loads and I use only as a reference. My chosen TSX load in the 7mm rm is with H4831sc and uses the charge referenced in the Sierra manual and gives me low pressures and 3,000 fps. The NOSLER E tip requires a reduced overall charge of powder due to the construction of the bullet: gilding metal, which is harder than ductile pure copper.

As copper has a lower density than lead, a similar weight bullet made of copper will be longer; providing a higher ballistic coefficient (everything else being equal). This means it should buck the wind better and deliver better downrange trajectory and energy. So, different load.

Val

Reaction score
Hornady

Hornady states that their GMX bullet is directly replaceable in a load recipe with the same weight leaded bullet. I haven't tried them yet but I just received some in 150 grain for my 30-06.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
All this being said about interchangeable and non-interchangeable data is kind of a moot point to me. Two identical rifles will often shoot the same load very differently. It all boils down to what your rifle likes. Start low and work up until you find the sweet load.

Top Bottom