converting rem 870 to youth gun

paulc

Reaction score
i am converting my old remington 870 to a youth gun for my kids... i am having the stalk shortened but i currently have a full choke barrel and i wanted to get somthing shorter and with the new screw in chokes... cabelas has about a dozen to choose from.
since it is a youth gun i want to go as short as possible... this gun will be for upland game and in the immediate future a pheasant hunt for my 12 year old..
how short a barrel can i go.. and does anyone know if the cabelas barrels come with all the chokes or do i need to order the specific barrel... what choke? an improved or a modified... any input would be appreciated... also if anyone knows of anywhere less expensive than cabelas.. i think the barrel may cost almost as much as i spent on the original gun.
thanks paulc

Fubar

Reaction score
Paulc You can get a barrel from Cabelas with Remchoke. That is the one that will take screw in choke tubes. Then you can get whatever tubes you want. I dont know which tube comes with the barrel. You may want to ask them when you order it. The lighter you make the gun, the more recoil it will have. If you reload, you can make some lighter loads.               Fubar

paulc

Reaction score
thanks fubar... how short of barrel will i get away with do you think.

paulc

Reaction score
cabelas did not have anything that short so i ordereda 26" ... they charged way to much..
thanks though

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
Paulc,
 If you buy a barrel and then have to buy chokes,let me know,i have a choke here,wait ill go get it! ok its an "improved" choke and i also have the wrench that will fit the chokes on your 870 Remington,email or message me and i will be glad to send them to you free,i have no use for them as i went to a winchester mod.1300 a couple years ago and got rid of my .870

Top Bottom