Cool Turkeys

Strutter

Reaction score
I was in my stand tonight and had a 9 gobblers come under me.  I had my cam watching the same scrape I was watching and 2 of the turkeys were 5 feet in front of the cam and it would not trigger the cam.  Are the birds that well insulated that they won't cause PIR to go off.  I have pics of turkeys but they are always in the sunlight.  Tonight they were in the shadows.  On second thought, the pic Grizz has of that weasel caused his cam to trip.  That weasel couldn't put off much heat.  The cam is working cause I got a pic of my thumb trying to turn it off so I could check the scrape.  Them birds busted me and I never batted an eye.  Must have been those chartreuse feathers.

Strutter

gizz

Reaction score
Your sensor is probably OK strutter. I did a little experiment a while back and found that I could walk "between" sensor zones toward the camera without setting it off. If i moved only slight left or right or swung my arm in those directions the cam would "trip". I also learned to mount my cams about 2 to 3 feet off the ground. Some things are so small that they can actually walk under the detection zone if your cam is mounted too high. Not saying this was the case with yours because I've never had the opportunity to watch my cam in action so it's hard to say what is getting by - no way to really know.

Possum

Reaction score
We could do a test and use a infrared beam that has to be broken to trip.  Then set it up on a roadbed with a traditional PIR on the other side.  Then we could see if the PIR is missing anything that the beam is getting.:smile-yellow:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom