• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Cooling a hot barrel

Big_C

I was shooting up and Angeles Crest yesterday and noticed the guy next to me placing a wet towel on his rifle barrel to cool it down. I asked him about it and he said he "hoped it would work". I've never seen this before. Does it work? Would it damage the barrel?

And while on the subject, does anyone have a method to cool down a barrel that actually works?

Thanks!

Chris

eoats

?

I'm curious too. Just seems like nothing I'd try for fear of warping or even cracking the barrel.

Where's Bruce?

Aside from shading the rifle and opening the action to allow air to move through the barrel there is nothing else you should do. It is best to limit groups to 3 rounds so the barrel never gets too hot in the first place.

Top Bottom