Cooling meat

daddy63

Reaction score
Sorry for re hashing an old topic but I didn't have any luck with the search button. For you guys who cool your game meat in a cooler with ice I'm wondering if you put plastic or something between meat and ice or does it matter. I'm curious because I've been taught to keep the meat dry. I understand you keep the plug of the cooler unplugged and replenish with ice as needed. Please explain your procedure if you don't mind. Thanks in advance.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
I use frozen gallon bottles of water - a few inside the cavity, a few on top... No runs, no drips, no errors.

daddy63

Reaction score
Thanks Rancho loco... how long do you keep the meat in the cooler with bottles inside?

Flatbroke

Reaction score
the boys from the south put the ice on top and drain the H20 after a day or so. I have used Dry Ice before and had freezer burn problems, even though I put a layer of cardboard down between the meat and Ice.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (daddy63 @ Jun 22 2008, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks Rancho loco... how long do you keep the meat in the cooler with bottles inside?[/b]
Jeez - depends on the air temp, getting the cooler into a cool shady spot, etc. Remember, even in optimal conditions - a walk in cooler... Fresh pork doesn't stay fresh for long.

It's also important to fill up the dead space inside the cooler to keep the ice from cooling dead air. I've used wadded up newspaper, also plastic. You'll be suprised on how much longer the ice lasts.

Now if you put dry ice in there - heck, that'll freeze that pig solid as a rock.

daddy63

Reaction score
Thanks Rancho... I have an extra refer in my garage that I put the pigs in, but I was curious if the refer is cold enough or the ice in a cooler would be better. Thanks again.

jindydiver

Reaction score
I put the meat in big bags to get it home from the hills.

There are 3 and one half fallow deer in here :)

After I get home I get the meat out of the bags in the next couple of days and get it into the fridge

The metal tray on the top shelf is full of boned out leg muscle, sitting on tea towels and paper towel

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
I put the meat in a game bag (stops air from getting to the meat) and put ice on top and bottom and drain the water. Meat stays fresh for several days, it’s nice and red, no gray or brown coloring. I also leave it in the cooler until I’m ready to butcher the meat, one less mess to clean up.

ozstriker22

Reaction score
Agree with MJB.

1. I leave my meat in the cooler until I'm ready to butcher it.
2. I sprinkle some white vinegar over the meat and the top of the ice to retard any bacterial growth
3. I add a good amount of rock salt or kosher salt to the ice. This REALLY drops the temperature to below freezing.
4. Unplug the cooler so it can drain.

90% of your brines involve soaking in salt water and/or vinegar... I do not believe adding these to the ice affects the flavor of the meat negatively or really all (very small amount of salt and vinegar compared to a brine).

Bwana Turtle

Reaction score
What's the story on that "Ice Kool" cooler ? It looks pretty industrial Strength.

daddy63

Reaction score
Thanks guys... so the old tale of not getting the meat wet doesn't really matter huh?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom