Coordinates to Distance

kmitch

Reaction score
I got a Garmin Map 76 for Christmas but have been sooooo busy between hunting, building cameras and other gear that last weekend was the first time I had used it in the field. We have a 200 acre tract we hunt. I plotted the coordinates of the north and south corners of the west boundary and want to determine what the distance is between the two points. The coordinates are expressed as N XXdegrees 54.315', W XX degrees 08.104'. How do I take these numbers which seem to be expressed in degrees and minutes of a degree and find the difference between two points in feet. I'm sure this is something simple and with enough time could drill it out. Perhaps someone on this forum would be kind enough to point me in the right direction.  

Thanks,
Keith

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Keith,

If you post the coords I can determine the distances for you using GIS software I use for work.  

Later,
Todd

Tinhorn

Reaction score
The easiest way is to save on corner in the GPS and go to the other corner and "GoTo that Saved Corner" and the GPS will display the results:

Here is a formula to try tho, for fun:

<font face="courier new">

convert the degrees to decimal degrees  
  38:45:22 =     38 + (45/60) + (22/60/60)

Ads = Sin(Lat1)
     Bds = Sin(Lat2)
     Cds = Cos(Lat1)

Dds = Cos(Lat2)
     Eds = Cos(Lon2 - Lon1)

Fds = (Ads * Bds) + (Cds * Dds * Eds)
     FFds = -Atn(Fds / Sqr(-Fds * Fds + 1.00000000003)) + (PI / 2)

Miles = 3963.34 * FFds

</font>

Gun Docc

Reaction score
with the Map76 you can actually measure the distance between points right on your map screen

with the points your interested in being marked as waypoints it is simple
when on the map screen ,go to the waypoints list and select the waypoint in interest and select to show  it on the map , next is to move your pointer to be directly over the waypoint while viewing the map and hit menu then select measure distance from the pull down options. you will notice a small text that says enter ref so if your pointer is placed on the waypoint hit enter. now simply move the pointer by the panning method to go to the other waypoint your interested in, when the pointer is over it you will see in the top left portion of your screen that the direction and distance is displayed. the distance will be in either feet or 100ths of a mile just depending on how far it is.
also note that the distances that you come up with this way are a straight line of sight just like a Goto feature does

example:
say the distance from one waypoint to the other displays .33 on the map screen when doing it this way.
now all you have to do is a little simple math to get what your looking for
to start with a mile is broken down into 100ths .
1/100th equals 52.8 feet
so if displayed distance is .33 , then take the 52.8 feet and multiply it by the 33 which gives you 1,742.4 feet or break it out as yardage which would be 580.8 yards

well it is simple to me but it kinda don't look easy after reading it over...lol

anyhow i have made myself a simple hand chart that i carry with me all the time when out in the field using my GPS that is very handy to keep  you informed as to how far away things on the map are actually from your position

this chart i have made up has 1 mile broken down into yards from .01 to .100 and is about 2 inches wide by 9 inches long and it can be folded to be 4.5 inches by 2 inches so as to fit in your pocket easily.

the chart i have was made up in wordpad and if anyone wants a copy just let me know and i'll send you one by e-mail as an attachment

i have been meaning to get this chart onto a website somewhere's so it could be seen or printed out easily but i just havn't taken the time to do so...lol

hope this helped a bit
Later,

MNTNMAN

Reaction score
Check out the NGS website. There are many programs that are free to download, and they have one for just about all of your GPS needs. The program that you are looking for is called Inverse 3D.

Topclamdigger

Reaction score
The Garmin Map76S has a feature called "Sight N' Store". Using the Electronic Compass, line up sight- marks on case, record the bearing, enter the estimated distance (sorry a laser range finder is not yet available), record as a waypoint, GPS provides  coordinates.

Topclamdigger

Reaction score
Sorry..... Try this.... enter points as Waypoint coordinates. Use Setup to set units to metric. Navigate Waypoint to Waypoint... convert distance between Waypoints given meters to feet. ( Meters X 3.1= feet).

Tominator

Reaction score
GunnDoc, I don't mean this as a smart a-- answer, but wouldn't it just be easier to set your units to Meters and simply assume a meter=a yard?
Tominator

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Tominator,

yep i guess you could but i don't deal with the metric system too much and the standard is yards, feet , inches and thousandths to me.....lol

no offense taken but i like the good ole american measuring system anyday over the metric system.....lol

i build houses as a general contractor and there is almost nothing on the job that is metric as it is all inches and feet and in the gunsmithing work some things you just have to deal with in metric but when having a choice i will go with the one i know better since i was taught it from the start

Later,

Latest Posts

Top Bottom