Coots in my spread,Ugh,OK.

REFUGE REJECT

Reaction score
Hey all,

Do any of the California hunters on here use coot dekes in your spread.The places that I hunt,I can honestly say I have never seen coots and puddle ducks together in the same raft of birds.

I responded to a post on a different forum and I may have gotten A guy from Texas alittle uptight,at the very least he thinks I am stupid.My intention was not to get him mad because I think he has alot of waterfowl knowledgeto share.I just hope that he will share it with me.  

2curljohnny

Reaction score
when the widgeon/sprig start showing where i hunt i throw 4-6 doz coot blocks in the spread. it positively effects the spread without a doubt.good luck

Spec

Reaction score
Coot decoys are good in the spread and don't let anyone tell you differant! alot of ducks take food away from the coots Widgeon being one of them!!

CootCreamer

Reaction score
Got lots of coots in my spread. I even throw in some mallards every once in a while to break things up.

Fubar

Reaction score
Refuge Reject   Welcome to Jesses Forum. I have never used coot decoys. I think they would make good confidence decoys. I usually dont see coots right in with the ducks but they are always around.         Fubar

MQ

Reaction score
I often see birds in the middle of the day work into a flock of coots, bypassing my dekes. So last year I bought a dozen to place on the perimeter of my spread. Of course last year was a poor year to judge whether it helped or not.

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Use them. On a slow day with few birds flying or working ya ever notice hoe thos singles and pairs land in the middle of the pond with the coots.

If it's really slow pick up ypur duck deks and put a dozen cooters around the blind (jerk cord on one). Toss a duck dek or two out and hit those singles and pairs.

Advertisement

Top Bottom