Copper bullets

Quiet

Reaction score
With California requiring all big game hunting next year to be done with all-copper bullets, does anyone have information on whether there are any reloading differences/nuances that need to be adhered to? I have never reloaded 100% copper bullets and still have a cache of lead jacketed .308 Hornady and Sierra slugs for my .308 and .30-06. I've read that copper bullets of the same weight are necessarily longer and that the ogive bearing surface can spike pressures from a normal handload. Where's a good book/place to bone up on these non-lead projectiles? Thanks.

Revo2811

Reaction score
There is a lot of info the the manufacturer of the bullet you are using. Example I use barnes ttsx and the have loading data. Nosler etc etc. what bullets are you using or thinking about using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quiet

Reaction score
Thanks Revo. I plan to hit the local Sportsman's and pick up a Barnes reloading manual. Was looking at the TTSX and TSX in anywhere from 130 to 180 grs. Do you know if the all-copper bullets require additional barrel cleaning efforts and would alternating my lead rounds for practice and sighting in all-coppers for hunting gum up the works?

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
i thought it was lead that clogged the rifling not Copper ?

Bankrunner

Reaction score
You can try a copper solvent, that's what i use to get my rifle clean clean. The stuff is strong so read the instructions and the precautions. It's also a good recommendation to use a stiff nylon brush.

hntndux

Reaction score
I've loaded the TSX in my .270WSM, .300Savage, .338 and 7mm using my exact lead load with no pressure problems or anything and accuracy has been outstanding and highly recommend them. I do plan to get a Barnes loading manual though just to be on the safe side and get some new ideas especially with all of the new powders that are on the market today.

pschooley

Reaction score
You don't need to buy the Barnes manual, they publish the current load info on their website.

Quail7-08

Reaction score
I load the Nosler e tips 140 gr for my 7-08. They are quite long for the weight. You’ll need a reloading manual to look up a good start charge.

TheGDog

Reaction score
Barnes has their loading data online for download for each of their projectiles.

Top Bottom