copy cam

knothead

Reaction score
hey fellas,this is my first post on this forum,but i have been readin for months...first want to say you all are the best i have found so far.anyway...i have a hawk-eye cam and its a great unit.($189.00).i have got to have MANY now.ive got the stuff to make my first one,gonna start in a day or so...but if i was to tear down this unit and show close-ups of board,pir,inside cam,ect..is there any way it would help to figure out how to make these type of units?they use vivitar cam($20.00).it works for 4 weeks on 4 D batterys.just thought maybe we could try something different.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum knothead. Reverse engineering the Game Country's Hawk-eye and then posting how it works would probably violate patent laws.

To figure it out on your own might be okay instead of saying, "Hey, this is how Game Country did it."

I just added the Hawk-eye to my game camera review webpage. Can you help out with some info that I couldn't find like the warranty, model of Vivatar camera, size, weight, film check window, can you use camera outside the box???

Thanks.

knothead

Reaction score
im going to take it down tonight and see what it is for sure.i found the book on the cam and it says BV85/85DB guess thats the model #.the cam has time/date  counter window and you can use out of the box. ill post weight and size this afternoon.warrenty is 2 years i beleive.
    thanks for the help spectr17  

knothead

Reaction score
went and got cam.it is a vivitar BV85DB.weights 8.4 oz.and measures 2.75x4.50.it has counter window and film check window.there are 4 wires out of cam.after checking some pics and measuring i belive the flash is only good out to about 21 feet.i think the OWLS are the better cam if the flash IS good out to 30 feet.tell me are the basic homebrews without a timer reliable...if you use a NEW OWL PF?if so i belive they would be better at night than the hawkeye jr.:guillotine:

(Edited by knothead at 12:27 pm on Dec. 26, 2001)

BULL MOOSE

Reaction score
Anyone know where to buy the cases for this model camera?

I just want and like the housing.

knothead

Reaction score
check out http://www.cases4less.com it is very close to the pelican 1120.these are my choice boxes too.not very exp. and come with closed cell foam. have you checked the post on eched circuit boards? i think hes got something there.

(Edited by knothead at 2:23 pm on Dec. 26, 2001)

knothead

Reaction score
vivitar cam goes to sleep. you just cant beat the OWL huh.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Bull Moose,
Those cases are manufactured by Seahorse Manufacturing.  One distributor I know of is Serpac.  You can buy the Serpac branded ones retail from Mouser electronics -
http://www.mouser.com

Or Allied Electronics - Don't recal their web-site.

Prices are around 16 US$ with foam insert.

Achilochus

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
I purchased a vivitar 85DB off of Amazon for $29 new.  

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...2189177-5581519

I also had to run four wires to the camera one set for the shutter, and the other set was connected to the on/off switch which is part of the shutter cover.  The only thing I don't like about it is that after powering the unit on, you have to wait about 5 seconds with new batteries before the flash fully charges.  I plan on about an 8 second delay just in case.  I would use a simple dual relay circuit that will turn the power on when the PIR signal is received and hold it on for about 12 seconds.  The second stage timer can be connected by relay to the shutter switch and activated after 8 seconds for a 1 second relay close.  The power relay is then turned off when the 12 second period is up.  

The 85BD looks to be a very well built camera, especially for $29!.  I personally like the flat front of the camera which makes it easy to mount up to a case and isolate the lens from the flash.  

(Edited by Jaggermax at 6:57 pm on Dec. 26, 2001)

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
knothead,

Couple more question please? Is the weight you gave for the whole unit? Does the case have a pic number observation window or do you have to open it? You said it's powered by four D cells, website says four C cells? Does the camera or unit have a low battery indicator? How or what does it come with for mounting? What are the film date options? Day/month day/hour etc??? Is the pic counter an LED display type or mechanical wheel counter?

Thanks a bunch.

knothead

Reaction score
spectr17..the weight i gave was cam only.total is 45.1 oz.W/ batteries.case has NO pic window.powered by C-cell(4).camera has low battery indicator.comes with web belt type strap.film date options are;month-day-year...day-month-year...year-month-day...day-hour-min...no data.pic counter is led on top of cam.uses one center "on" switch to work power-up/walk test.....MY OPINION...unit works very well -0- false pics out of 3 full rolls so far...BUT ....camera is very poor quality.my pics are not near as good as ones made with OWL pf.and after testing last night with survey flags at 3 foot increments and one hour proccesing i found flash is only GOOD to 13 feet.after that i couldnt see any flags.      finial thought  HOMEBREWS RULE.....HOPE THIS HELPED.

just found all paperwork on unit;
has 90 warranty on cam,.1 year on monitor.also has flash extender you can buy for 179.00. also says all programing is done by use of 4 DIP swithhes.(if this is of any help to anyone)

(Edited by knothead at 8:58 am on Dec. 27, 2001)

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks a bunck knothead.

4 more questions and I'll shut up. Size of the unit, battery life and does the manual give a operating temp range? Does it have any sound insulating foam or material?

Thanks again.

knothead

Reaction score
specrtr17
  dim. are; 7.75x9.00x4.00.the C-size batts in monitor seem to last 65 days with continious use.the cam batts will have to be changed 3 times during this time.there is no counter to tell pics you missed.i can find no info on temp any where.cam is set in closed cell foam.unit is NOISLESS.timer has 3,6,9,12min settings with day/night/24 hr activation period. board is 1.5x2.00in. with all comp. installed. if you have any more questions just ask. i have unit here with me.    

knothead

Reaction score
yea but look at the price.you could buy a whole unit for that price.i gave $179.00 at rural king for unit.would probabaly be cheaper to chang flash in cam????

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks again knothead, I think I'm outta questions now.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom