Corbina in Newport

quaildeath

Reaction score
Been fishing the area semi-fequently. I actually see more corbina then we hook....really skinny water. Doing the sand crab thing on light line. I own and use a saltwater fly rod once in a while as well..but lots of work for the amount of fish caught.

When these fish are in the skinny water and you can see them what are the techiques you guys use. The fish are more spooky then bonefish on the flats in Florida and wild trout in Hot Creek. The only thing I can think of is flouro or 2 lb with maybe a 16th split shot. The only problem is the fish we have been seeing are 2-3 lbs and up. Good luck landing one on 2 lb.

gtimo98

Reaction score
Sometimes I see them boil just in front of an incoming wave and I'll toss right in front of them; the hit is almost instant. I've been using the Berkley gulp baits all kinds(crabs,shrimp,worms, grubs) the bite has been really off lately, I usually fish the mouth of the Santa Ana river on ther south side(Newport). If I'm lucky I'll snag a halibut out of there. Alot of times when I see them working the shallows they're just moving, hard to land it right in front of them. You're probably using the right setup, I think they're just finicky right now with all the crazy weather.

quaildeath

Reaction score
qtimo98, try the gulp "penny" shrimp with a certain color lead head (think spawning sand crabs) - no slider. I have been bit and hooked, but have not landed biiiiggggg fish on this
. It is a bait of a 100 casts but it is 101 cast that matters. I will be fishing the area you mentioned this evening.

I have not fished this week but I agree with you that this weather is screwing up the fish big time.

Schoettgen

Reaction score
I was down in the Ventura area this weekend, long drive from my place, but I had a wedding to attend. During the down time I went fishing. I have heard of corbina but have never seen one but was fortunate enough to see several in the surf. Very spooky fish!!! I used grubs and sand crabs on a light spinning outfit ,carolina rigged, and # 6 octupus hooks, 8# mono with 6# florocarbon leader. I caught a lot of surf perch but those Corbina were a pain. Not one fish. I am fairly dedicated to trout on a flyrod, maybe I should have flyfished the surf as I was not very comfortable with the spinning outfit, but I was impressed by the difficulty in catching Cobina, definatly a worthy fish. The only problem is now I need to find the time to go back to redeem myself. Couple of questions, how far north can you find them in catchable numbers, and was my 6# line to heavy???

CAjackrabbitWCP

Reaction score
I've found them at Gaviota, further north is questionable, might be a few at Jalama but you can't sight fish there. 6# should have been light enough.

quaildeath

Reaction score
The fluorocarbon in the surf is the hot ticket. My buddy outfished me probly 5 to 1 in very clear water. He was using a 8 lb fluro leader, I was using strait 6 lb. We are of similar skill level.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
I used to hit them pretty hard when I lived in Hermosa....Soft shell sand crabs, 4lb line & 1/4 oz. rubber core, and a good drag were the hot ticket. You also had to be ready to sprint like a mofo.

Alot of guys would do good in high tide, after memorizing where the channels and dips were close to shore, where they would lob the sand crabs. I actually liked low tide where I could see them coming in formation, toss a crab lightlya ways in front of them, and get ready to run.

Fun fish...I miss my summer routine of walking down to the beach and checking wether it was a surf morning or corbina morning.

q-tip

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I will be down in LA for a wedding this week and will be trying for corbina for the first time. If you guys aren't sight fishing and are blind casting sand crabs to the fish, what type of retrieve do you use? Just drop it out there and leave it alone? Slowly twitch it back? Slow and steady?

Thanks,
q-tip

gtimo98

Reaction score
I've usually been fishing the low tide, I can seee the holes a little better and I dont get beat up by the waves as much. QD I have tried the new penny and they do work well the bite is on. Been trying all of the Gulp line of products when I'm out,just to see what works best. Next I guess I'll try the different line and see how that works. Thanks for the tips have fun out there. Hopefully I can get out there this week, work has been tough and can get up and getbout there in the morning for a couple hours.

quaildeath

Reaction score
q-tip:
Let the surf drag in your presentation and just reel in the slack as it gets close. Let it soak in the shore break a little bit.....6-12" of water.

gtimo98

Reaction score
New line new bait.
Spooled on some #6 Fluorocarbon.
Bought some 5" Jerk Shad (Shiny Penny)
Woke up early, fished South of the SA River mouth.
Low Tide; 6am
Tried the shiny penny Peeler crabs first nothing.
Tied on the Jerk Shad, on the first cast I don't think that thing was in the water 10 seconds before a real nice Yellow fin took that: about 15"
Tried this technique repeatedly, casted back side of the waves and let drift in.Changed bait regularly to keep the scent fresh. I got hit numerous times(big hits too then they run), hooked about seven and landed four. Fish ranged approx 12" to 15'. I did go back to the peeler carb(shiny penny and got hooked up twice on them) even a fresh natural color I got hit on. One of the better times I've had out there. No perch only croakers this morning. I saw the birds diving on bait close to shore too.

onecoyote

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I didn't read all the responces, but if you SNAG a corbina and get caught you're looking for a BIG fine.

Soft shell sand crabs and fresh rock or bay mussle have always been the favorite of corbina. Goast shrimp and blood wormes work too, but not as good.
Years ago I use to fish 12 to 15 lb on a 7 or 8' rod and a sand spike, caught tons of corbina.

Then I got into light line 4 to 6lb and a long skinny parabolic rod kinda like a fly rod, when the surf was right I'd wade ankle to knee deep and flyline fresh rock mussle, talk about major fun.

Since I don't fish in my home state anymore, I'll give you guys a hot spot for big corbina.....Sept. and Oct. off Torrance beach. Fresh rock mussle in the evenings and at night. We'd catch corbina up and over 5lbs, many nights they'd average 4+.

quaildeath

Reaction score
98:
From your report it looks like the croaker are dialed in on the larger baits. I have actually fished the sandcrabs/softshell in perfect conditions and maybe caught 1 or 2 crokers there, ever. Intersting.........

gtimo98

Reaction score
Same with me only sporadically have I caught them, few and far between. They are definatedly fun because they hit so hard and then run hard. I didn't expect them to take a big bait but it didn't seem to matter. Good day all in all.

Waterfowl Warrior

Reaction score
Had a really bad corb season this year. Seemed tough for me, fished close to 15 times and only landed two. Had a great season on croaker and perch tho. Working at Turners we got a sneak peak at the gulp stuff and fished it hard. Found my best results with the camo worm and the 1/2'' sand crabs. Have landed 7 legal butts out of the surf this year tho so i guess ill give up corbs for those.

Matt

gtimo98

Reaction score
Thought I'd give it a try this morning. I kinda knew that there might be a storm surge but went anyway. Just what I suspected, the tide was right but the waves and surf were kind of big; even for low tide. A couple of nibbles nothing else. Try again next week when the weather changes.

gtimo98

Reaction score
Hadn't been out in a little bit so I decided to go out this morning. Grabbed a couple 3/8 crocodiles to try. Was at the beach first light. The tide was rwal high this morning too. I think it was about the tenth cast when I got hit, nice yellowfin croaker. Had good action the better part of two hours. Alll yellowfin croakers and one walleye perch. I removed the barbs from the trebles and had a real easy time removing hooks from the fish. Had to be careful was using 4lb test. Just fun to catch fish I guess.

TonyS

Reaction score
For beanies, use light line like #8 and baitholder hooks. Carolina rig with a 1/8 sliding sinker. Best bait is soft-shell crabs, next is mussel.

If you want to try artificials, gulp sandworms are good. If you want to be adventuresome try the plastic small frogs rigged backwards. Everything thinks they are sand crabs. I outfished a friend with the frogs on 8 to 1 on surfperch.

Last tip: If your feet are wet you are way too far out.

Top Bottom