corn or not

deergrower

Reaction score
I was just wondering how many hunters are feeding corn this time of year and if your not why?

quigleysharps4570

Reaction score
I've been giving them corn for about a month now. Our muzzleloader season opens Sept. 11th and I'm ready.

bowhtr1

Reaction score
I wont use corn until the racks get hard. Deer love corn and they will eat alot of it. This will prevent them from eating other higher nutrition foods. Corn only has 12 % protein. To grow good racks deer need 18% protein. I use soybeans to feed the deer all year. It has 30+% protein and the deer love it also. In the winter corn is ok because the deer can use the carbs to help them in the cold.

quigleysharps4570

Reaction score
I agree bowhtr, here they have both. The soybean field is less than 50ft. from my corn pile, yet they go through a 100lb. bag of corn a week. More if I'd put it out. Got a big doe on the corn as we speak! It's a rain day so I'm home looking out the window patiently waiting for muzzleloader season. My feed pile is 220yds. from my backporch, so it's pretty handy to watch.

codypernice11

Reaction score
I'd say it depends on what your trying to accomplish,if your using the corn to draw deer in to your stand for a shot then wait till the first few days before opening day,if your using corn as a source of nutrition then i suggest you wait till winter to put it out or your wasting money because there are plenty of sources of nutrients this time of year.I put corn out during the winter once theres snow on the ground allthough i plan on buying alfalfa this year because it is more nutricious,cheaper and easier then buying 100 pound bags of corn good luck

shadow

Reaction score
We're working with our biologist for our area and he tells us Protein of 16 to 20% from March the Mid Sept. Then corn from mid Sept. to first of March. The protein and minerals provide in the summer help does with the birth etc...and the bucks with overall mass growth. The corn is hard for them to digest in the summer.

bzzboyz

Reaction score
It's always good to have some other food supliment other than corn. Older bucks have a hard time chewing the corn.

flyer05

Reaction score
I mix beef builder and corn for my feeders. Should have everything they need. I'll see what happens. I know the local bears like it. Maybe I should switch.

arlow

Banned
Reaction score
Cody,

Alfalfa over the winter is not good for the deer. Their digestive systems in our area change to allow them to process browse (barks and cedars and the tips of branches. This causes it to be difficult for them to process the alfalfa so they get full but do not benefit enough from it. YOu much better off with a corn or grain product in the winter.

Coondog

Banned
Reaction score
If you feed protein along with you corn. What do you put the protein in?? Any pics of any of your setups??

4wayhunter

Reaction score
I have had corn feeders going for about a month. I have cameras at these locations and not very much activity. I think they are really eating the he** out of the honeysuckle and clover.

codypernice11

Reaction score
alfalfa is fed to all the deer in our area are you saying that it is bad for them?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom