• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Costco Gun Safes???

Quailcrazy

Can somebody give me the low down on the safes at Costco? Ie Bighorn B6030EL, Sports Afield 6040 or Cannon/ This will be our first safe and I'd like to get a decent one, not a POS costing me $1000. I really appreciate the help.
David

Common Sense

Bought a Winchester from Costco a few years back, and am pleased with it(the wife loves having space under the beds).

Grandson got a great deal at Tractor Supply last year (don't remember the brand, Cannon I think, but it was huge and seems good.

bughalli

I looked on Craigslist for a very long time and only found cheap stack-ons or really old safes. It may be a reflection of where I live, but I couldn't find any deals. Eventually I shopped around online and settled on a Bighorn from costco. They go on sale a couple times a year, which really makes them a great value. I've been very happy with it. Service and delivery was excellent. Great value.

As everyone says, buy a safe bigger than what you need because you fill it. That advice is no joke. Once you have one you'll put all types of valuables in there. More than you might expect.

Do research on value of fire rating. Fire inspector once said the ratings are pretty pointless. Regardless of the heat the smoke damage makes everything useless. Kind of a long story, but he basically said they're not useful to protect against fire and having inspected a lot of them....nothing ever survived to they point the owner would want to keep it.

fishingeek

I picked up the Bighorn 19ECB last year and I'm satisfied with it. It's not a high end safe by any definition, but if your expectations are keeping the bad guys busy for more than a few minutes until help arrives, you may be fine with it. I made sure to solidly mount mine in the garage where neighbors will no doubt hear any attempts of a break in.

If you buy one: I pulled the 1/2" sheetrock out, completely re-lined with 1-1/2" fire board. After re-lining and installing hidden LED lighting, I've been pretty happy with it. It already has 3M's Fire Seal, too. Don't forget to Duct Seal the hole(s) for wiring and make sure the door pulls tight against the seal. There's an adjustment tab you can fiddle with for this.

Couldn't agree more with getting one larger than you think you'll need. I wish I had gone with one at least 25cuft or larger. 19 is just too small. I keep everything that's not replaceable in it, including my wireless backups for the computers.

Where's Bruce?

I looked on Craigslist for a very long time and only found cheap stack-ons or really old safes. It may be a reflection of where I live, but I couldn't find any deals. Eventually I shopped around online and settled on a Bighorn from costco. They go on sale a couple times a year, which really makes them a great value. I've been very happy with it. Service and delivery was excellent. Great value.

As everyone says, buy a safe bigger than what you need because you fill it. That advice is no joke. Once you have one you'll put all types of valuables in there. More than you might expect.

Do research on value of fire rating. Fire inspector once said the ratings are pretty pointless. Regardless of the heat the smoke damage makes everything useless. Kind of a long story, but he basically said they're not useful to protect against fire and having inspected a lot of them....nothing ever survived to they point the owner would want to keep it.
it is definitely where you live, search outside the Bay Area in more gun friendly areas. Get the biggest, heaviest SOB you can find. Filling it up is easy.

socalkid

Cannon makes great safes.

I wish I had listened to the advice about buying a bigger one than you think you need :smiley_doh:

DAQ80

I have a bighorn from costco. Great safe, but I also made the mistake of under estimating how big I would need. I would say get the biggest you can afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eoats

I got a close out on a Liberty safe from COSTCO, which I would rate as just adequate.
Since mine is also use to hold documents & hard drive backups, I'd agree with DAQ80.

Quailcrazy

Thanks for all the great info everyone. Next question, when they say curbside delivery, are they serious?? How the hell do I move a 700 pound box from the curb to the back of my house? Or are the guys cool enough to help you get it there?

CA Karen

They will put it in your driveway by your garage door. Or a least they did that for my brother and we used an appliance dolly to get it inside his house....but it was only a 500 lb safe.

slamdmini

they dropped mine in the garage for me. i bought a safe that was much bigger than i needed and still filled it up in just a few years

warren nelson

check some of the wholesale guys they have a dent & damage sale, I got one that was 50% off have a few little dings. YES get the biggest one you can before they fill up fast,

Top Bottom