Cottontail

limit7

Reaction score
Did anyone go this morning?  I am heading out this afternoon.

songdog

Reaction score
This evening with a bow behind the house... I'll let you know tomorrow.

JBarn3

Reaction score
I hit Baldy Mesa above the Cajon Pass this morning, but didn't make it out early enough, I got there around 7:30 and it was already warming up quite a bit.. I saw one jack and thats it. Im hoping to get back out this evening.

The burn up there was pretty bad, While I was eating breakfast at McDonalds at the junction, a hot spot started smoking up, and forestry guys came out to take care of it. There was a lot of acreage burned, but Baldy Mesa was mostly untouched.

If I make it back out this afternoon, I'll post tomorrow how I did.

songdog

Reaction score
Songdog 2 - Bunnies 0

Two bunnies with a recurve now in the freezer.

songdog

Reaction score
No, just field tips.  If it looks like an area that I could loose a bunch of arrows I'll put the little judo type insert under the field tip.  They work well but can make a mess out of a rabbit when you hit them and your arrows don't fly the same with them.

yotegetter

Reaction score
I may be going up to Carrizo this weekend. Hope to get some bunnies.

dhodsdon

Reaction score
My buddy and myself know the best spot to shoot cotton tails in the central valley.  We both shot four each but if we wanted to stay in the heat for more than an hour we could have shot twenty each. We at least saw a couple of hundred rabbits. Those suckers are hard to hit when they are running I only hit four rabbits out of about 200 shots with a .22.

Derek Hodsdon

MapMan

Reaction score
I am not sure when and where I can use a solid projectile (.22) to hunt rabbits. What are the regulations/ordinances on hunting rabbits with either a solid projectile (.22) or a shotgun. I would imagine a solid projectile is not legal in all areas while shotguns are OK most places. Anyone know?

JBARN3,
I hunt Baldy Mesa/High Desert area a lot. I read your post that you go there to hunt as well.  Is a solid projectile legal out in that area?

JBarn3

Reaction score
Jesse has these maps as well as others on his web site. The yellow areas are ok for rifles, the red is shotgun only.

Shooting Map

zoomed in

Where I have gone is yellow, so my .22 is ok, though I may try to find another spot. I was out there again today, and didn't see any rabbits. The guy I was hunting with saw 2 together, but didn't get a shot off at either.

I may just decide to drive out to Yucca Valley, where I have seen a dozen rabbits in less than 10 minutes. Only problem then was season wasn't open yet.

jackrabbit

Reaction score
Well, the Jackrabbit nailed 3 cottontail yesterday evening in the local foothills.  The hunt was pretty easy, even without dogs due to the 100 degree heat in this area.  Used my .22 10/22 with target barrel and target trigger.  Didn't get any opportunity for any long shots however, as the bunnies always broke from nearby brush.  They don't seem to have been pressured much on this little patch of BLM public land, which is surprising.  No fleas on any of them, but did find one botlsfly larva on one of them (nickel size grub) just under the skin, but not in the flesh.  Got 'em marinating right now, but haven't decided how I wil cook them this time.  Hope to be able to get in an early morning hunt soon, which I generally enjoy better.

Mojave

Reaction score
JBarn3 - I just looked at the legend of the map you posted. What does it mean: "Shotshells no larger than 1/2 the diameter of the bore"? Sounds almost like they want us to pop a .410 shell in a 12 gauge. Seems like a shell like that might flop around in the gun a bit! (Maybe they meant "shot" instead of "shotshell")?

JohnsIslandBoy

Reaction score
I was looking at the map and in the Blue areas it says you can shoot at night.

Can yall really hunt at night in some areas?

JBarn3

Reaction score
JohnsIslandBoy

We can hunt at night for "furbearing and nongame mammals".

Basically, coyotes, bobcats, beavers, raccoons.

JohnsIslandBoy

Reaction score
"Night Hunting - Night hunting is unlawful
except that raccoons, opossums, foxes, mink
and skunk may be hunted at night; however,
they may not be hunted with artificial lights
except when treed or cornered with dogs, or
with buckshot or any shot larger than a No. 4,
or any rifle ammunition larger than .22 rimfire.
It is unlawful to use artificial lights at night,
except vehicle headlights, while traveling in a
normal manner on a public road or highway,
while in possession of or with immediate access
to both ammunition of a type prohibited for
use at night and a firearm capable of firing the
ammunition. (50-11-710)"

Thats a quote from SC DNR about night hunting. I espcially like the part about no artifical light except when treed.  Guess your just spose to follow the dogs around by feel at night.

Yall are Killing me with the tales of yalls success with Lil Bunny Foo Foo.  Our Rabbit season does not open till Nov 22 - Mar 1.

I will be able to hunt deer before I can hunt Rabbit. Deer Aug 15 - Dec 30.  

Love the reports. Keep em coming.

(Edited by JohnsIslandBoy at 10:09 pm on July 3, 2002)

Top Bottom