Cottonwood W.A. Sat.

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Walked into Cottonwood late last night, about 3 miles. Napped till this morning then the three of us split up along the ridge line. It was cold,foggy and the wind was blowing about 20mph over the ridge. Saw about 9 does,2 coyotes, 1 bobcat but no horns. Only 26 people were drawn for this weekend and we saw maybe 6 of them. About 9 am I moved down to the ridge that sits above one of the ponds. Moved around a bit to get a good view of the surrounding area. 10am rolls around and I was relaxing under a tree when I hear a pig squeel. Jumped up to get a look at the creek bottom. As I'm looking down I notice a group of hogs coming down the slope across from me. I dropped to my knee, picked out a large hog and squeezed one off.
BOOM..........WHACK !!! Pigs all scatter except for the one I pulled on. It was stone dead, not even a twitch. Rest of them ran back up the slope and over into the private land. Moved down and across to the pig. It was about a 225yd shot with my 270. Hit 2 inches behind the ear and exited out the lower neck. It was a boar about 200lbs., with 2" cutters. The drag out about killed us except F & G came by and drove us out the last mile. Meat should be ready in about a week. Pictures as soon as I get them back. Time for a cold one or two and some asprin............................Erich.

Cda55

Reaction score
Sounds like you had a good hunt. Where is Cottonwood at? I see you're from Turlock so I'd guess it's up around there.

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Cottonwood is near Los Banos. Take 152 West and it sits on the North side of the highway about half way to the crest (Pachaco Pass) to the Dinosaur Pt. turn off. Its about 4000 acers. Steep canyons, grassy hill sides, thick cover in the bottoms. Only saw 1 rattle snake today but F&G said they are thick this year. There is a turn off and parking lot on the right, check-in box there for day use. Some water here and there but limited..............Erich.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
Nice consolation prize.

It's cool that the fish cops helped you out of there.

Buck Hunter Vic

Reaction score
Congrate's E,and way to go.I was there to,and saw 1 spike & 1 that would have maybe heald a ring, both about 14 inche's high,but over the fence,and I saw 20 pig's,and 1 that would top the scale at better than 350 lb's. I heard alot of shooting going on. The buck's are there,just alittle to much wind I think,there had to be "sent" going everywhere.
But tomorrow is another day,see ya Vic

Rookies

Reaction score
What luck did you have. Didn't see any bucks but atleast you got a piggy. Sounds goood either way to me. Congradulations..... Maybe I outta get that pig tag, that would be a shame if I saw one and sould not shot it. Whats the odds of that.

DanV

Reaction score
Good Job !! Thank God for the drive out the last mile . Better luck with the deer .

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Like Vic said the wind was a little on the high side but it did help cover the noise as I moved around. Also made the drag out a little more pleasant. Everytime i've been there i've learned something new. A little side note to keep in mind, the acorns are thick this year. Last year we were hard pressed to find any. Something to keep in mind when the first rains start and deer season is over. .......................Erich.

Cahunter

Reaction score
congrads on the hog, sounds like they are in there pretty think. I think I might make a trip up there this week. When its that windy its i've noticed deer tend to just sit tight.

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Ressi....................Ah, but don't forget"Share the wealth", What comes around goes around"......................

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Kev.....You don't need to get a pig tag signed off. Just fill it out , attach small part to pig and send large part into F&G.

No.1Ressi

Reaction score
outdoorsman,

P.M. works fine for directions.......public land hunting is tough enough without giving internet directions. Kindness to the general public is a double edged sward.

chap_dog48

Reaction score
Great post. Don't let these guys dampin your success. You are entitled to share what you want. I share all sorts of spots I hunt. Why I share is because when I my dad and I first started I wish we had people to turn to for help in the shrinking hunting world. I pass on the info also because I can't hunt there all of the time. Thanks again.

Cahunter

Reaction score
Iam the same way, I have hunted up north quit a bit and I always give up the spots I have found. I don't know when I am going to draw a tag so someone might as well enjoy these spots. I hope that when I go into a new area that people will help me out.

barel74

Reaction score
Cottonwood is a good area, if you like to walk straight up and down. Don't cross any fences though. The landowner to the west and north are'nt to friendly to tresspassers.

Top Bottom