Coturnix quail for dog training

yucaipahunter

Reaction score
Anyone use Coturnix or Japanese quail for training ? I have a small flock going but so far only use them for making some awsome pickled eggs. I did hatch a new bunch a few weeks ago and just set new eggs tonite in the incubator if anyone would like chicks or birds let me know. These birds lay and breed fast at about 6 weeks. Back to my original post though.. if you have used these birds... how do they work for training?

gundogs

Reaction score
I went through a good number of them last season. They are not consistently good fliers, some go like rockets and some sit tight. I found them useful when starting puppies or working a dog to steady.

Bryce:patiotic-wavin-flag

yucaipahunter

Reaction score
thanks for the reply, Thats kinda what I was thinking, not very flighty but maybe useful. I have a young bunch that I'm gonna try and give some extra leg room in a bigger pen, its common to raise these guys in small cages. We'll see if they can go like rockets. I just started breeding them recently so I havn't tried them in the field, easier and faster to raise though than bobs or pigeons. Taste good too! :)

gundogs

Reaction score
Move your adult birds to a large quail house with minimal contact as they seem to tame quickly. Make sure the quail house has tall sides so they do not see allot of movement on the outside. If you want them to fly good feed them high protein food like layer pellets. I prefer bob whites and chucker but the coturnix work well for marking, teaching steady and in launchers. They are easier than bob whites to raise and they eat less so they are a less expensive bird. I have a new batch on the way for the puppies.

Bryce:patiotic-wavin-flag

Latest Posts

Top Bottom