Cougar Tracks?

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Today I found some tracks along a lake shore that were following some  deer tracks.  They were near one of my trail cams, and I'm wondering if those are cougar claw marks, or dog toe nails?  

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Click here for Track Photos

wavesfr

Banned
Reaction score
Well you should be able to tell the difference.They say that theyre not a problem but many of us don't agree.I'm starting to see more & more of these tracks myself & they are'nt dogs.A few months back Me & a friend were hunting.He heard something looked back friggen lion behind him.He waived his arms stomped the ground like youre supposed to do right? But it just looked at him & sat down.So he shot a round at the ground & it took off.It's bad enough when theyre killing pets but when they're not afraid of humans that's a problem huh?

Sporty

Reaction score
It is my understanding that if you see claw marks in the tracks it is most likely not a lion because they have retractable claw and don't use them for walking. Now, if it was chasing the deer then it may have been a lion because cats use thier claws for grip. I know house cats do that whenever thay are on my lap and a dog comes strolling in.

Sporty

wavesfr

Banned
Reaction score
I just seen the pics.Don't look like dog to Me .But the lion tracks I've .Look way bigger than those.Hard to tell from the pics the size of the tracks.Maybe bobcat huh?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Richard,

As Sporty said, cougar tracks have no claw marks in them. The other distinct feature to look for in cougar tracks is the M&M shape on the pad

Here is a bobcat track for comparison

Fubar

Reaction score
I say dog.               Fubar

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I'm with Fubar, some kind of dog.  Lion tracks are just big kitty cat tracks...no claw marks and very pug-shaped.  Spectre's pix do a good job.

By the way, Spec, is that your nipple ring embedded in the mud there...in that second pic?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Spec,

No nipple rings here . I've seen what machinery does to things that hang off your body and I don't want no part of that.

That 2nd pic was in an area at FHL I was turkey calling and it was a big track, it puckered me up a bit seeing it. I looked at them tracks pretty close but I don't remember what that was in that track, there was some old quail shells laying around which I picked up, it may have been part of them.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Hmm...could've been something that lion has been eating.  :cheesygrin:  

There seem to be a bunch of lions down near that FHL and along the Los Padres.  Good place to keep your eyes open and your back covered.  

Fubar

Reaction score
Gobblemaster and his Dad saw a mountion lion on FHL two different times.           Fubar

wavesfr

Banned
Reaction score
So far I've found the remains of 4 deer there so far.And 2 hogs have there skulls in the flower bed.At fhl.Don't know what got them.And seen some huge tracks in T/A 30.Have you ever heard the story of the guy that was turkey calling? One of the biologists there told Me.That 1 year a guy was sitting behind an oak tree.Calling turkey's and a lion came up from behind & whacked him across the face.I've heard alot of lion story's come from there.  

Fubar

Reaction score
Wavsfr   I havnt heard of any human encounters on FHL with lions. There are many lion vs human encounters in the San Diego area however. While I was scouting turkeys I had one woman tell me a lion jumped out in front of her while she was riding her horse and it killed her German Shepard. It carried it away. I talked to another guy who said he had lost two labs to the lions.              Fubar

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Forget FHL.  I'm in Brea about 7 miles N. of Disneyland.  On Sunday I went for my usual walk in the hills to keep my deer finding eyes and legs in working order.  About two miles in I see the biggest jackrabbit ever.  Then it starts walking toward me with a certain swagger like a 'yote.  At about 40 yards, it turns sideways and it becomes a bobcat.  Darn thing walks right up to me on the other side of the path.  It's not even 15 feet away and it had absolutely NO FEAR of me. I got a few pics on an old instamatic.  It watched me stare for a minute, took one leap and was gone.  The animals are a chang'n - kinda like Planet of the Apes?

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
QALHNTR

I had a similar occurence a few years ago in Chino Hills SP. I was riding my bike down a fire road and saw a bobcat run off the trail in front of me. I got off my bike and walked up to the spot where I saw it go into the brush. He was just sitting there with his back towards me. Every few seconds he would turn his head and look back at me, after about aminute of this he got up and walked off into the brush. It was kinda cool and exhilerating at the same time.

(Edited by karstic at 2:33 pm on Jan. 31, 2002)

Advertisement

Top Bottom