Could more have been done?

Scotty

Reaction score
Got this off the CNN web site.

MID-AUGUST 2001
Acting on a tip from a Minnesota flight school, authorities arrest Zacarias Moussaoui, a French citizen of Moroccan descent who wanted to learn how to fly, but not land, a 747 airliner. The FBI's Minneapolis office is refused permission to search Moussaoui's laptop computer for clues. In a handwritten message, a Minneapolis-based agent writes that Moussaoui was the "type of person that could fly something into the World Trade Center," according to FBI Director Robert Mueller. On August 16, the FAA issues a message on "disguised weapons," said Rice. "They were concerned about some reports that the terrorists had made breakthroughs in cell phones, key chains and pens as weapons," she said.

I know:

Hind site is 20/20.
I hate a backseat driver.
Everyone can be a monday morning Quarterback.

But....

Reading statements such as the one above makes it hard for me to understand how the terrorist's were so successful.

Scotty

Kickaha

Reaction score
The terrorists used box-cutters as weapons.  These were not viewed as weapons before 9/11, but as box-cutters.  Usually when they refer to converting other items into weapons, it's into such things as small bombs or zip guns.  They weren't looking at box-cutters or anything else knife-like.  In fact, they weren't looking at small knives at all.  

Just weeks after 9/11, there were reports of the public complaints about the extra time needed for security checks at airports.  The only way for them to have stopped the attacks would have been to put in place the security measures they're just starting to now.  If the public is complaining after 9/11, what would they have said before 9/11?  

Another way that may have stopped the terrorists would be to have put racial profiling in place.  Again, after 9/11 we hear reports of a little 3-year-old girl getting all her bags and toys searched while middle-eastern men in their 20's stroll through the gate.  What would have happened if racial profiling were tried before 9/11?  The disgusting thing about this is that the same people who are crying that you can't single out the one group responsible for 90% of the world's terrorist actions are also the ones crying about nothing being done before-hand.  

These are blatently political moves and I think the people starting all the rumors are going to end up regretting it.

Dakota

Reaction score
This is a pretty dirty polical move that may (and I hope) backfire on the Dems.  This is a pretty lousy play when we are in a war like situation.  Partisanship should be taking a back seat to aggressive policy to disable terrorist.  Dashele (sp?) should be ashamed of himself, unfortunatley most politicians have shown us that they are devoid of shame.

Wildbio

Reaction score
Yeah and something more should have been done at the battle of the bulge also.  We knew the germans were in front of the lines yet they pushed through and pushed the American lines way back.  A surprise attack is just that a surprise.  I can't believe that the Dems are trying to say that Bush allowed the attack to go through.  They have no scruples.

Advertisement

Top Bottom