Count Down to RNJ

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
Just switched from the black "X" to the red "X." This time next week I should be on a mountian with Randy and Jay. I am going to have my father in law put the new scope on tomorrow and get some practice in. He is at the shooting at a competition as we speak at the Coalinga Rifle Club... no doubt in first place. I can hardly sleep because I know it is right around the corner! Headed out Crappie fishing tonight, but I will be thinking about next weekend. No matter how many trips I have been on or animals I have taken, I still get excited like it is the first time. I guess when I don't get that anymore it will be time to stop. Anyway Hope your ready Randy... I know I am!

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
5 more days to go! Randy how was the hunt this weekend?? I put the new scope on and am ready for some action.

rnjwildhoghunts

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cold1nhand @ May 5 2008, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
5 more days to go! Randy how was the hunt this weekend?? I put the new scope on and am ready for some action.[/b]
Took a break to take the wife to the coast, we will be back at it for the next three months now, look forward to seeing you shooting this weekend.

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
"Look forward to seeing me shooting this weekend..." HAHAHAHA very funny! I can promise I won't miss a shot like that again! Plus I am bringing backup! One of the deadliest guns in the world. I was able to talk my father-in-law into coming. So it will be Steve, his grandson, father-in-law and myself. Steve and I are hunting for sure, don't know if Jerry is going to wanna plug one yet. I think he might. I hope your ready, I know I am! Four more days to go.

SJ Hoghunter

Reaction score
Cold1:

have a great time with RNJ, be sure to let us all know how your hunt goes.

Jeff

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
Alright, the time is here!!! I will be off to RNJ tomorrow and look forward to another great hunt. I hope to share a great story and some amazing pictures when I get back. I know I won't be able to sleep much tonight. I don't know about you guys but I always get this way before a hunt. I guess the day that I don't, is the day I stop hunting. Randy I hope your ready, because me and the boys are pumped and ready for action! LOCK AND LOAD BABY!!

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
Another great and successful hunt with Randy and Justin at RNJ Wild Hog Hunts. Story soon to follow.

kcravnit

Reaction score
hey guys i am on the list next we are hunting with RNJ this coming weekend...cannot wait...

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
Okay here goes.

We arrive at the ranch on Friday afternoon, get all unpacked, and take care of all the paperwork. Late that afternoon we load up in the Jeep and head out for the evening hunt. Man had the ranch changed since we were there in March. So we head up to the familiar lookout spot to do some glassing. We spotted a couple nice hogs so Randy dropped of Jay and I so we could pull a spot and stalk on this group while they went to go find a trophy boar for my buddy Steve. So Jay, or as I like to call him the billy goat, start the hike over towards our hogs. Get over to the area, but they had moved on we never found them again. So we decided to hike over a to a honey hole that wasn't too far from where we were.

While on the way over there I heard a shot fired. About 10 minutes later another shot. Five minutes later another shot!

norcal7

Reaction score
Cold1,
your killing me, keep the story coming!!!
or does Randy need to start chiming in?

Kcravnit,
don't want to highjack cold1's thread but.... first time at the ranch? You should have a great time and sounds like it's going to be a hot weekend!

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
Sorry guys had to head into the office.

Part Two:

So Jay and I head that way, glassing along the way to see what's out and about. See some hogs but the wind was bad for a stalk. When we get to Randy and Steve they have a nice boar down in the canyon. The story went something like this. Randy feel free to correct me if I didn't get it right, but this is what I remember. As you guys were headed from one ridge to another, you spotted a nice boar headed down one of the draws. Looked like about a 180 yard shot Steve set up and BANG! Steve hit the boar with the first shot. But this boar must have had a pretty good plate of armor, because when he was shot with that first round from the .308 150gr. bullet the only thing he did was take off running! now the chase was on. Steve and Randy head down on foot after this boar and get another shot. BANG! WOP! Steve hit him again, and this one seemed to do some damage, but was a little far back. Everyone's favorite, gut shot. Now Randy and Steve continue after the boar down the draw. Tracking the little blood that there was to follow, Randy jumped the hog about 5 yards away after he had layed up in the brush. Steve got one final shot that brought him down. Here was the fruit from their labor, a 220 pound tusker with 2 1/2 inch cutters.

So the next morning Randy and Jay tell me to get my rifle, there is a nice boar in the wheat field behind the house. I grab my 30-06 and follow my young guide out behind the house to pull a sneak up to a tree near the edge of the field. We sneak up carefull not to make a sound. Wind isn't blowing so we should be good to go. While it was light enough to see with your eyes, just couldn't get enough light in the scope to make the shot. Guess I should have went with the 50mm when I bought the new scope. So now it is a waiting game. The boar is about 50 yards from us feeding away. Seconds feel like hours, now the wind is starting to pick up, and it's blowing the WRONG WAY! He winds us and bolts like a bat out of hell. Guess I wasn't going to get that lucky, crawl out of bed and shoot a monster right behind the house. So get back to the the jeep and see what we can find still out from the nights feeding. We head up to the ridge and spot some wet sows and little ones. Jay and I head off to see if we can't kick something out of bed. Did I mention this guy is part mountain goat? Up and down we go... down being much easier than up... my heart is beating out of my chest and this kid hasn't even broke a sweat yet. Now that I think about it I don't think that I have ever seen him even so much as take a deep breath. I think he likes to torture me. As we contine on this walk about, we see alot of fresh beds and sign. I think that is what kept me going. Jay hears a few but I was just too out of shape to keep up with him. (see picture below)

Yes that is me in the back. We end up back at the cabin for lunch do a little target shooting and the usual B.S. session that fallows must morning hunts, have lunch and take a little nap. The reason that I say that it is a little nap and not a good nap is because Jay woke me up and sugested that we go and try to sneak up on some hogs that his grandfather saw sleeping under a tree in the bottom of a canyon while he was headed down from his house. So we jump on the four wheeler and head that direction. We get as close as he thinks we could without risking being head. Now some more of that hiking starts. This isn't going to be hard as it is mostly sideways and then down. This I can handle but coming up is going to be a mo-fo, but well worth it if we get something. Again more fresh sign but nothing. We hike back to the four wheeler, only half way for me as Jay was kind enough to go on ahead and bring the quad down to me so we could save time. We get set up and glass some ridges and draws. Now might be a good time to mention that Randy had stayed back at the Cabin to watch the grain field just in case they came into the came in early this evening. Well sure enough about 7:30 we checked in with Randy on the radio and he said for us to get our ass back there as they were out in the grain. So we head back to the cabin. We get there and sneak up along the fence line. The pigs are feeding in the field but we can't see them. Randy and the guys are back at the cabin and from the angle that they have they can see them plain as day. Well we only have one option we have to keep going along the barbwire fence. While that isn't that big of a deal but it is going to put us closer. There is only one spot in the field that we can't see from our angle and wouldn't you know that is where they are. Kinda funny how it always works out that way. So here we go... closer and closer. Now we have the angle on the pigs but another problem. the only thing we can see are ears. Now I am starting to have a flashback to this morning. The wind is going to pick up and these hogs are going to bolt. I am going to have to make a quick shot on a pig rumming full speed. So I take a rest on the fence post and pick out a low spot in the grain. Jay and I get ready.
He whispers " can you see them?"
"Yes. I reply"
"Can you take a shot?"
"Nope."
"There is a dry sow on the right, a small boar in the middle and a wet sow with some little ones on the left. Shoot the dry sow or the boar...When they give you a broad side take it."
"Got it."
So I deiced that I would rather have a nice meat pig and opted for the dry sow on the right. Which worked out really well as they were feeding to the right and there is a low spot in the wheat, she was out front. Again, seconds tick away, but they feel like hours. Finally she gets into the magic spot I had picked out... BANG!!! My bullet had found its mark and she was down. Jay hopped the fence to make sure she was down for the count. Everything was good to go and we put her on the quad and took her back to the cabin to put it on the scale and take some pics.

She weighed 170 pounds on the dot, and when Randy and Jay started skinning her out. Now she had been feeding on grain for a while, because I have never seen this much fat on a wild hog. And with a well placed spine shot very little wasted meat she is going to taste mighty fine. Take a look at the fat on her.

Thank you again to Randy and Jay for another great hunt! See you guys again soon!

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
Here was a picture that my father-in-law took while we where up by the famous juniper bush.

Pictured left to right... My buddy Steve, Myself, Jay (aka mountian goat) and Randy.

Kentuck

Reaction score
Sounds like a great hunt. Will have to put this one on the list to do. What bullet were you shooting? That looks like some serious damage on that hog.

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
I was shooting 30-06 Remington 150gr bullets, nothing special. Bought them at Wal-Mart.

daddy63

Reaction score
Congrats on the successful hunt and the great write up. Sounds like you put some miles in on that hunt.

She'll taste all the better because of it.

Top Bottom