Countdown to Texas hogs

Wolfe

Reaction score
In less that 10 days we leave for Texas. After last years trip I asked the daughter what she wanted to do for spring break this your and she said "Texas again Dad" So it is with great joy that I am getting the guns ready and have arranged a spear and dog hunt for the kid :skeered:. I know brutal but after she killed a wounded one with her knife last year there is not stopping her. I have work in Dallas and Livingston then it is Centerville for three days. For those of you who want to go the drive is not that bad and we bring home all of the meat. Last time I was there I shot 3 and brought home 6 as the other hunters on the ranch did not want all of their meat. Here is some pics from last April and I will post some new ones when we get back. I love hunting with my daughter and it is great to see her enjoy the outdoors so much.
IMG_0102.jpg
View attachment 80623View attachment 80624

Last edited:

cjack

Reaction score
Dang! That's one tough young lady. Best of luck to her on the spear hunt and to you on your hunt as well. Thanks for sharing, I will definitely be doing a Texas hunt on my ventures someday.

KTKT70

Reaction score
have fun out there. Cant wait to see how yall do this year. Good job dad. Way to get out there with your girl.

I still want to get some guys together for a TX trip. Im almost sure we can hunt my families landed and kill all the hogs we want. If we plan the trip right. It will be well worth the drive for all of us.

Last edited:

signguy

Reaction score
Awesome! I am headed to Texas Thursday for eight days-
Looking forward to some great pig hunting!

Hog slayer

Reaction score
Nice looking hogs. It sure is a lot fun hunting with daughters. I remember when I took mine on her first hog hunt. She spotted some hogs in the high grass and I told her to take the best shot at the biggest one if she could. You could hardly see the hog in the grass. She fired and the hog was down. I was so proud. I asked her how did she know where to place the shot, She said dad, I just saw the head of the hog and then moved the sights back toward where I thought the shoulders were. I was very impress. Great times hunting with son's and daughters. That Texas hunts looks like a lot of fun. Have a great trip.

Wolfe

Reaction score
To everyone that wants to go to Texas to hunt hogs it is not as bad as you think. The drive is around 23 hours and over two days it is not hard ($400 each way) The ranches vary but plan on spending around $75 a night for lodging for each person and that includes the hunt. Kill fees range from $75 per hog to $1 per pound. Where we hunt there is a high fence area (200 acres) and 650 acres that we have free range on. It is fun to hunt the river bottoms in the free range area and jump them in the beds. We got 6 last year but when I went in October I only was able to shoot two. It is not shooting fish in a barrel you have to hunt and walk a lot. The total cost for us last April was just under $1000 and the gas money. So for around $1700 we hunted three days and brought home over 300 pounds of meat. The cool thing for us is I have to go twice a year for work so we can write off the gas and travel money. In California the same hunt would be around $4000 and not as much fun. The ranch we are on you can shoot any varmints you see. I have seen fox and coyote and Mike has seen cougars. Oh and your license is only $48 for 5 days. PM me if you have any questions and I will post pics from the next hunt when we get home.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom