Covering Owl PF lens

paarcher

Reaction score
It appears many people use an UV filter on the outside case between the Owl and the outside environment.  Is that necessary or can the Canon Owl lens just shoot straight through an open hole in the case?  I wasn't sure if the Canon Owl can take the rain.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I'd use something to cover the Cam Holes in the enclosure to keep out the weather.  It don't have to be UV filters (they seem to bring out colors better in the pix) but can be pieces of glass too (plastic mite scratch and ruin pix quality)

and Welcome to the Site!

Tinhorn

MBullism

Reaction score
paarcher-

I'm with tinhorn.  Seal that baby up.  you can get good quality glass for short money
(discount picture frames, welding helmet refills, and even free scrap cuts if you ask nice...).  The UV isn't necessary, but does make a difference in pic quality.  And DO stay away from plexiglass.  Some folks use it with good luck.  The only time I used it was for the hole to check the pic counter, and I've regretted it....

My .02  (and ditto on the welcome to the site!)

Surveyor

Reaction score
I've picked up used or out of production UV filters at Camera shops and Flea Markets for a couple of bucks. The people at the camera shops are amused that I did't care abot the size ,just so that it was big enough for the Cannon Owl to look out of. Actually one worked perfectly, I used a hole saw to cut the hole and the filter dropped right in and I completed the seal with silicone. Good luck!

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
The cameras cannot take the rain or even moisture build up in the box. The manual for the camera states just that. I had a box that was not air tight and it would get condensate from the temperature changes and eventually the camera failed. I took it apart and the entire inside was crusted over. I knew it would but I was lazy and didn't fix the box. I cleaned it up and got it working again but it will drain the batteries in a matter of a day or so. I gave up on it and now use it as spare parts if possible.

Plexi glass works fine too but can get scratched. By cutting a hole in the box and mounting the glass on the inside of the box it helps keep it from getting scratched and Plexi glass is cheap and easy to replace. Cutting it out can be a pain though.

The filters are probably the best way to go and they sure do seem to take great pictures.

ShearMadness

Reaction score
Use it not only to keep out the weather but the bugs also.

Who was it that had the ant problem?????

Latest Posts

Top Bottom