Coyote coming in fast, then splits, WHY

wildlifedesigner

Reaction score
Okay about say Feb I go out to a hillside and see 2 coyotes about 1/2 mile away sniffing the ground so I lay next to a mound by the fenceline, I would have to say I was pretty well covered up to anything coming to me. So I start calling, the 2 start making thier way to me. They came about 100 yards closer t stopped then sniffed the ground like they lost interest, then I notice another one running torwards me they others watched and started to follow the running Coyote . As Dog #3 was still coming in quick, I was thinking cool my first coyote called in, he came to about 80 yards still at a good rate of speed, Then out of nowhere He took off at a dead run. Why? I had'nt moved, there was no change in attitude on him that I could see thru my scope. Barely a breeze in my faver,  All I can think of was he may have saw the 7 inches of shiny barrel looking at him would that cuase him to  turn around at the speed of light?. I laid there for about 5 more minutes blowing one sequence and the 2 were still coming to me but watching Dog #3 run away at the same time, then out of the corner of my eye I saw one about 50 yards behind me, so I got him the other 2 did not seem afraid but I ceased calling. Where these just dumber coyotes?.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I'm thinking yote #3 saw sumpin he didn't like, hence his quick departure. Was your scent on the ground where you walked in near the yotes?  I had a simliar experience while turkey hunting a few years back. 2 yotes came in quick and 1 of them didn't like the setup and he trotted of at a brisk pace looking back nervously.

I hit the squeak of death as soon as I saw they were yotes and the 2nd one locked up in front of me at about 40 yards. I had my 12 ga. so when he stepped a couple steps closer for a better look I popped him. I thought for sure it was a blown deal when the 1st one turned and headed off but you just never know how empty their bellies are. It could have been a dominance thing too. #3 comes in for dinner and sees the guy who just thumped him last week and just keeps on cruising out of harm's way.

Fubar

Reaction score
I agree with Spectr. They probably saw you or smelled you.                  Fubar

glen71

Reaction score
Some coyotes are smarter, actually more experienced, than others. They learn very quickly. Every time a hunter calls one in but doesn't manage to get him, he has just educated that 'yote. The coyote that spooked either saw you or scented you. Possibly he had been shot at before and associates human scent directly with a bullet whistling his way!

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 maybe he seen a shine from the lens of your scope,there are so many variables as to why he ran,maybe he had just noticed one of the others and had memmory of being whipped by one of the others,Who knows?yotes are tough to get in,very smart animals.thats what makes them fun to hunt.
 Go buy one the stuffed animal toys that wind up and move(unhook speaker) and set it out when calling,give them something else to look at when they come in.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom