Coyote Hunting back East

Freedom

Reaction score
My friend and I decided to give this 'yote hunting a try.  There is a decent population of them in my area here in NW PA.  We have watched a bunch of videos, I've read every thread on this website I think, and we read any articles we can find in magazines about hunting them.  We gave it our first try this weekend with no luck.  We're not discourage, we know its going to take sometime.  One thing we were wondering though is this.  99% of the materials we read or videos we see is about hunting coyotes out west in the plains or the brushy hills / mtns of Ca (on this site).  Where we live its mostly timber.  There is a fair amount of agricultural land but we're not talking 10,000 acre farms here and there are few "working" ranches.  What should we concentrate on?  Fields?  Power / pipe lines?  What about calling in the woods?  Anyone have any advice on that?  Its not too terribly thick here (except in the summer) in the winter or once the leaves are off you can often seen 100+ yards (especially with snow) in the woods.  What should we look for?  We also know this is a tough time of year to call with it being the mating season and all the dogs are pretty educated by a years worth of calling.  Should we call from valley floors or from ridge tops?  Any help / suggestions would be much appreciated!  Thanks!

redfox18

Reaction score
seems like in ohio,wood lots by thick areas,and powerline right of ways make for good areas,atleast from my personal experience where I hunt.I trapped by some cornfields and only got coons.Around here it seems they run such a big territory they will be arouind for a while then gone for several weeks then back again.Other areas arent to bad like this.I know around fall the end of summer freshly plowed fields are where to be,seems like within a half hour or a few hours after they are plowed they are in there getting fresh mice.I guess if you can find where the food and dens are right now are the hot spots.I would also guess if you can find some good areas by water when the pups are born they will hang by water.Keep at it you cant call them in if they arent around in that spot at that time to hear the call.

Also just personal opionion,eastern coyotes in the midwest are more weary of people being around becuase they moved in here and we wer already here,but man at west there is alot more pressure on them then here so  who knows keep trying

songdog

Reaction score
I stay pretty close to the ag fields.  Coyotes love little mice, moles and critters that are found in most of these fields.  

Also, look around for where you see the most scat.  Sounds kind of obvious but they have to be there to poop.  Calling where they frequent really helps.

I've also found out here in the west that they like to stay pretty close to civilization.  Whether it's trash cans or local cats and poodles I find more of them there than way out in the boonies.

Brad

Reaction score
We Have them in NY too. seems they are most active at nite . we can hunt them 24/7  But it gets damn cold at nite . can't find any mouth calls for 'yotes either.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Hello Freedom,

I hunt yotes in Missouri sometimes where it's timber and a lot of crop fields. I see many yotes mousing in fields in the morning like Songdog said. Once I figure out where they're at I plan a setup.

One good way I like to scout and cover a lot of new ground is I have an old fire engine siren that I hooked up a cig. lighter and P.A. speaker to. I drive down the road and stop and hit the siren. If there are any yotes within hearing distance they can't resist howling.  Mark the time of day on your map and move on down another 1/2 mile, or if your reading to hunt, grab your rifle. ! or 2 times and you'll know if the area holds yotes or not.

You can get these old sirens at HAM swap meets, maybe even try and find out who takes care of the local fire department engines or police cars. They sometimes junk the old ones when they get new ones but they are still good for yote finding. All you need is the siren to work, if the light bar stuff is broke it doesn't matter. Hook 12 vdc to the power input, strap a speaker across the output and hit the siren and you'll know if it works or not. Make a little carry bag or box for the whole thing to keep it together and you're set.

Just don't mount the siren in your vehicle and play Barney Fife on the road. Cops don't cut much slack on impersonaters.

Top Bottom